Number of newbie questions

Hi there,

New to Blender (come from a Maya background). Trying to get my head around the workflow around Blender and I need some clarification. Using v 2.57.

I originally thought that the object/data concepts were similar to the transform/shape nodes in Maya, but I was wrong:
First, it seems that I can’t get an object without data as its direct child. Am I mistaken? If not, how do you organize your objects hierarchically? (Sure, you can parent an object under another, but when you try to link/append the parent, it doesn’t bring it’s children. I dont want to link all the individual components of my objects.) Can you parent more than one data to a single object?

Also, when looking through the render camera, if I want to adjust its position/orientation, the viewing camera becomes a floating one, and the render camera remains static. (I can move the render camera using the 3Dview controls and the other editors though). How can I change this behaviour?

Furthermore, I installed a keyconfig preset which works great, but even though I have it selected when I “save user settings”, this keyconfig is not loaded when I create a new scene or open an old one. (I need to go back in the preference or splash screen to set it back.) How can I make this preset the default one? (I’m on OSX)

I saw in a video tutorial the oops schematics. Was that abandonned for 2.5? The documentation seems to imply that we still can access it from the outliner. Not the case for me. Is it a bug?

Ok, enough for now, I’ll have more questions later.
Thanks a lot.

Move around in 3dview and when you are satisfied with the angle do “Align camera to view” using Ctrl+Alt+Numpad 0. This aligns the active camera to your angle in 3dview.

Someone else can better explain the first part, but this can also be achieved using object groups.
Select object, Ctrl+G to assign them to a group.

Then you can append the Group and they should all append. But if the parent child relationship is important here, than I’m not sure whether it’s possible.

You have to (right click) create a new window and choose outliner to see the groups and the parents and the children…blender is far superior to maya…, but you have to understand the interface.

Not sure what you mean by render and viewing camera?
If you have one camera in your scene, and press number pad 0, you will be looking through the camera that is used for rendering. You can move this camera in “Camera” view by using short-cut keys.

If you select the camera you can do the following:

If you press “G” (grab) with the cursor in the camera view, you can now translate the camera along local camera axes.

If you press “G” and then middle-mouse button you can dolly the camera in and out along it’s current orientation.

You can move the camera along y by pressing “G,” then “Y” once for global y-axis, or “Y” twice for local camera y-axis.

You can move the camera along x by pressing “G,” then “X” once for global x-axis, or “X” twice for local camera x-axis.

You can pan the camera by pressing “R,” then “Y” once for global y-axis, or “Y” twice for local camera y-axis.

You can tilt the camera by pressing “R,” then “X” once for global x-axis, or “X” twice for local camera x-axis.

You can trackball-rotate the camera’s orientation by pressing “RR” with the pivot point (set at the bottom of the 3-D view window) selected to anything other than cursor.

You can trackball-orbit the camera by pressing “RR” with the pivot point set to Cursor.
Put the 3-D cursor wherever you want to set the center of the camera’s orbit.
If you want it at the world center, then “Shift-S” and select “Cursor to Center” first.

There are many more combinations with “G” or “R” then “X, Y, or Z axis” and various pivot-point selections. Also, whether you have only the camera selected, or the camera and another object selected, affects where the pivot-point is.

I’ve only covered a few of the combinations here, …oh and don’t forget camera fly-through mode (Shift-F) Fly

Play around with it for awhile, you’ll get the hang of it.

Once you get accustomed to the short-cuts, I think you’ll like this system better than Max, or Maya. I’ve used them all, and I like this one the best.

Thanks GodOfBigThings, I already found that out. If it is the only way, then how do you turn on the passepartout in the 3dview (the edges of your rendered image), like if you looked at the render camera.

Hey baal, I didn’t ask where was the outliner, I asked whether the oops schematics still existed.
I’m exploring the interface and try to find the interfaces that show relationships, including the non-hierarchical ones.

Your comment on a tool being better than another one is really off topic. Please don’t start this type of crap here. If I mention where I come from, you are in a better position to guide me. That’s all.

Ha! That was it!
I needed to select the camera and don’t try to move it with the 3dviewing controls, but with the grab mode.
Thanks a lot.