Numbers about Corona

And how far away are those? A year? Two years?

If a potential treatment can help now, then the last thing we need is a mountain of red tape that would mean economic pain lasting for years, if not decades. I do think it is possible for this crises to be greatly ameliorated as soon as Summer, but it is only possible if the world chooses to slash the tons of regulation and bureaucracy that makes it all but impossible to have timetables measured in months (as opposed to years).

This is not to say that I expect the anti-malaria drug to be sold and taken like ordinary Tylenol. You would probably have to take it according to instructions from a doctor, possibly with the doctor present.

1 Like

If you compare between the US and Taiwan, it’s pretty obvious that the problem is not people in general, but ineffective leadership and bad learned behavior/missing education.

1 Like

There is another perspective I want to put out there, there are some theories as to whether or not the virus is actually airborne as opposed to one that rides aerosols from coughing. This could explain the continued spread in Italy in spite of the whole country being locked down.

If the theory is true then lockdowns, group size restrictions, and social distancing are fairly useless, with the slowdown in infections not expected to come until either warm weather or herd immunity takes over. The best you can do then is mandate ‘shelter in place’ for high risk individuals and manage the spread so hospitals don’t get overwhelmed, otherwise the policies create a ‘cure’ that is worse than the disease.

In short, you being exposed to the virus will be highly likely, so make sure you are eating right and exercising, make sure you are sleeping good, and make sure your immune system is in top shape and not doing anything to compromise it.

Malaria medicine is usually sold over the counter like paracetamol (Tylenol) here in Germany. The US is way more lax with medication, so I’d assume it is the same there. Since it is not only used for treatment but also prevention of malaria it would be kind of silly to require a doctor to administrate it.

If people are overdosing, then that warrants it being taken with a doctor present. You would not want people to take more than the absolute minimum needed to combat COVID 19. You also want to make sure that only people who really need it will be the ones using it (to minimize the situation of the cure being worse than the disease).

My mom takes Chloroquine for her rheumatoid arthritis, and while it’s not chemotherapy extreme, it’s still a pretty dangerous drug, and shouldn’t be recommended lightly.

Some of that red tape is necessary. Right now, you could say we have three likely successful vaccine candidates floating about in the wild. Each has a decent chance of being effective. So why don’t we have them in our hands right now? Why are we not lining up at the clinics to get our shots?

Because we have to run these various vaccine candidates through human safety trials, and these can take upwards of a year to complete. Yeah, we could probably cut things down a bit, do a basic study, and release it in a couple of months, but…

…what if it’s not totally effective? Imagine if congress and our pharma industry greenlight the vaccine, claim immunity has arrived, and tens of millions of people still end up getting sick, swamping our still fragile healthcare industry, and netting possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths?

It’d be mass pandemonium, not simply because they still ended up getting sick, but because they’re going to feel that they’ve been lied to.

Or even worse, what if the vaccine has an unintended severe side effect that we didn’t catch because we rushed it through the safety trials? You’d risk further sickening or maiming countless numbers of people.

The fallout from that would be catastrophic.

So yeah, some of those red tape regulations are called for. You want to make sure our medications are triply safe before unleashing them on the public at large, and to do that, you have to spend the time researching the results.

This sounds a lot like an unsubstantiated rumor that you are spreading as a fact.

1 Like

I did mention the words “if this is true”, not necessarily selling it as absolute fact.

Still, I would be cautious against any declaration that our knowledge about this virus is settled and therefore all debate will be shut down.

Don’t take chloroquine unless it’s been prescribed to you, people!

And definitely don’t ingest fish tank cleaner because it has that as a listed ingredient.

…it’s sad that this needs to be stated.

Of course. That is what virologists keep saying all the time.

My rules, don’t infect ANY old people, they could go home, have a sick spouse, so keep the minimum 2 meter distance with all old people, also remember young people could go home, and take care of a sick, older person, and infect them second-hand . . Shop for two-three days at a time, don’t go shopping all the time, limit it to 3 - 4 days groceries at a time, be reasonable, get stables, don’t empty the stores, live a bit frugally, wash hands before going out, especially shopping, or drug-stores, where old people go . .

It doesn’t seem dangerous for young people, middle-aged, but if a lot of old people get sick, they will need respirators, for a while, be put in short-term coma, as well . . Spread the disease curve out, make sure people get sick over a longer period, then there will be enough respirators, and no one will die, for lack of medical stuff . . . It’s basically about ’ thinning ’ the infection rate, so there’s medical stuff, in the hospital, especially respirators, for those who will need it . . Take care, be safe . . And, remember the old people must be scared, own grand-parents, they worry . . . So, do your part to keep the rate of infection low, so no one dies needlessly, it would be a shame, seriously . . .

Also, carry a scarf, or a washing cloth, take it out if you need to sneeze, simple, cheap . .