Nvidia 3080 x2 or 3090

This is an interesting design from Gigabyte. The part of the cover, where the fan lies, is thinner, obviously allowing more air to be inhaled in a multi-gpu setup. Furthermore, this particular card is less then 40mm thick, i.e. a dual slot card, appropriate for this kind of use.

1 Like

Very cool, and interesting that they are so thin, we will see how well they handle heat dissipation. This will most likely be the design of the leaked 3080 20gb turbo model.

1 Like

Yeap, that remains to be seen. One more thing that’s very interesting in this design, imo, is the position of the two 8pin power connectors at the rear part of the card, leaving a clean side view when multiple cards are stacked in a multi-gpu setup. I’m really curious to see if any of these new features and designs affects thermal behavior in a measurable way.

1 Like

You are mixing things up. SLI is specifically for rendering realtime directX/OpenGL/Vulkan graphics alternately across multiple GPUs.

Primarily meant for games, where if you have 2 GPUs then one frame is rendered on one GPU, the next on the other and so they render them alternating between the GPUs.

Or more accurately it rotates next frames rendering between GPUs so you can have even more than 2, but performance gain doesn’t scale linearly so diminishing returns. More often than not it isn’t/wasn’t worth going with more than 2 GPUs.

Essentially. Yes.

2 Likes

Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Let’s see what AMD comes up with and if they have a successful launch with enough cards.

Well good news regarding heat dissipation for the Gigabyte 3090 Blower, it is only one test but still, they actually had 4 running at the same time:

Surprisingly, the temperatures were not bad at all. Even with all four GPUs running at full speed, the temperatures ranged from 73C on the bottom GPU, to just 80C on the top card…

What I find interesting is that with a dual gpu setup, the hottest card was measured in this test at 70C while other third party cards in single card configurations run between 67C to 77C.

Granted the Gigabyte 3090 Turbo has a lower core clock (1695 MHz), so when compared with the Founders edition test on the same website it went from a 670 Octanebench score for the founder’s edition, to a 657 on the Turbo Blower design.

I don’t know what to think about the stability issues, if this card might have them, and of course the availability issues. But at least it seems to be good on the thermals side, so I’m looking forward to more reviews.

2 Likes