Hey ! So it seems that the Blender Foundation has received the long awaited tesla cards yesterday. http://mango.blender.org/production/a-tale-of-teslas/ and they have shown how cycles performs. There was also something about plans to improve cyles on opencl level.
What I understand is that currently Nvidia holds the advantage over AMD:
- Geforce cards - faster CUDA for cycles but less vRAM onboard ( GTX580-3GBVram)
- Quadro - better OPENGL for viewport performance in Blender. Not much else here concerning Blender.
- Tesla - uses optimized CUDA for brute rendering power and 2x the onboard video ram of a normal geforce ( ex: Tesla 2075 = 6B vRam but slower than GTX580)
So for AMD currently there is :
- Radeon HD series consumer graphics( the most powerfull beeing the 7970 in terms of Gflops/s single precision but currently slow and incomplete implementation for cycles rendering )
- FirePro - the Quadro counterpart ? only with better support for multiple monitors no ?
- Tesla counterpart from AMD ? I don’t know of such a product so far. Anyone know something else ?
Anyway so the question is what would you get if you had to build a custom Workstation ( for rendering in cycles ) ? there is no AMD alternative to TESLA so far is there ?
So opencl would catch up in performance to CUDA in a year maybe ? Is it worth buying the 7970 compare to a GTX580 asuming that I won’t upgrade for 2 years amaybe 3 ?
From what I hear opencl is a much more desired platform for rendering with opensurce software than CUDA for example. Would this mean we’ll see more optimizations from Blender part to opencl once the drivers mature ?
The other question would be regarding Linux performance ? It would seem that linux is more “conscious” of utilizing CPU than windows is. How about the GPU side ? What is better in linux in terms of drivers AMD or Nvidia ?
Finally my budget would be no more than 3000Euro what would be you’re suggestions ?