NVIDIA Dropping 32-bit Linux Support For CUDA

Not a lot of you will probably be affected by this, but just in case:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUwODg

How many people use 32 bit Linux anyway, I would think that if there’s a 64 bit version of most distros available for free, people would take it.

In other words, there may not be much of an effect here, now if it was WinXP they were dropping support for, Nvidia will not be able to see the end of their line of complaints (never mind the fact that it will become a lot more vulnerable to hackers and viruses once MS drops security updates for it).

Yeah it’s not a big deal with Linux since nobody charges you for “serious business 64bit editions”. Any CPU made after 2004 should support 64bit instructions.

I didn’t realise anyone else charged more for 64 bit than 32 anyway… MS doesn’t and Apple only have 64 bit anyhow. The sooner we get rid of 32 bit the better, I don’t think any PC’s sold in years almost have come with 32 bit, generally its manual installs.

I feel so old, still rocking the 32 bit processor. :frowning:

The world needs to drop 32-bit OSes and hardware like a bad habit.

Was I the only one who read this?

Though in the announcement of dropping 32-bit CUDA Linux support, it sounds like they might also remove the CUDA driver from the 64-bit NVIDIA Linux driver. “The CUDA driver might not be included in future releases of the NVIDIA Linux-x86 and Linux-x86_64 GPU driver packages.”

Not the most tech savy when it comes to drivers, but isn’t that bad (providing NVIDIA goes along with it)?

It would be kind of ironic and sad if part of the reason for Nvidia pulling CUDA support for all Linux is because of the mentality towards them by spokesman Linux Torvalds (meaning that all FOSS developers will have to use Mac or Windows to make use of it).

The FOSS people don’t like proprietary solutions, let’s pull support for our features and see if they can scrape together an open one to use instead, after all, we approached Linus and all he gave us was the F-bomb. :rolleyes:

Considering that a lot of research institutions and other compute intensive places use Linux, wouldn’t this be a little odd?

I hope you’re trolling.

The reason Linus gave Nvidia the finger was because Nvidia would not support Optimus on linux and they would under no circumstance give out documentation so that the people could fix it themselves.

Because most laptops with Nvidia GPUs had Optimus, this would make them nearly unusable on linux.
So even Linus couldn’t make them change their mind on this so he pointed out that Nvidia were the worst hardware company that they ever worked with in terms of cooperation and gave them the finger.

So you can say that it were Linus that approached Nvidia and they gave him the finger first :wink:

Besides that it seems like Linus is not alone when it comes to this. There is a reason why Xbox and PS4 choose AMD instead of Nvidia and I suspect that Apple had similar problems which lead to them going AMD this time around.

If Nvidia drops CUDA on Linux then it will only be viable on Windows as the new Macs will ship with AMD GPUs.

So if that is the case then Cycles and other cross platform software will hopefully drop CUDA as a hot potato and use OpenCL instead so that GPU acceleration isn’t exclusive to only one of the supported operating systems.

This is indeed positive for the consumer because then everyone will be using open standards that is supported by the three major GPU companies. Which will in the long run hopefully lead to more competition, better drivers and more choice when buying GPUs.

Windows 7 Editions Comparison Chart

The “Starter Edition” of Win7 you get with OEM licensing is 32 bit only. You can get the 64bit “Home Basic” or “Home Premium” editions, but that is artificially restricted to 8GB and 16GB of memory, respectively. Good thing they sort of stopped doing this with Win8 :rolleyes:

When I thought I was going to make games with blender I did some research and turns out most of the computers average ppl use are terribly outdated. This is one of the reason PC games aren’t a big thing. Its just too hard to hit the target. Hell I had a P4 up until a few years ago. I feel for you average computer users out there.

It just means you probably need to download CUDA separately from the driver. I guess a lot of people have no need for CUDA (on any platform) - I don’t even think it is used for games. Nvidia won’t drop support for Linux…

Edit: Linus Torvalds does have influence, and his finger did send the message. It is still baby steps but Nvidia has moved in the right direction since then. Gotta love that man :slight_smile:

blender for 32bit linux can just come without cuda support. its not that big of a deal, if you want high performance raytracing you can better upgrade anyway.