NVIDIA GeForce 8800 is out!!!

who needs powerful graphics cards? GeForce 2 for the win!!! :smiley:

Absolutely! Now, if only I could find out how to emulate VRAM with regular RAM. The awnser in my thread didnā€™t work.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? With any application (OpenGL/Direct3D), then video memory runs out, the textures(among other data) are automatically stored in the system RAM. Geforce2 has enough onboard RAM for the GPU to handle. A 512mb video card isnā€™t 16times faster than a 32mb video card, you know.

Impressive benchmarks indeed:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812

Omg, in addition to all the graphic bells and whistles, it has a dedicated physics layer.

Very impressive. (bad news for PhysX, and that whole franchise)

The only thing that bothers me is the 229 power suck at idle. I mean I can understand the 321 on load, but crossing the 200 mark on idle?

That just sounds excessive.

Hopefully nvidia will move to the 80 or even 65nm fab and shrink the die a bit. Not only will this increase yield exponentially, but also reduce heat dissipation.

By the way, 321Watts underload is, to my understanding, the load of the entire system, not just the graphic card. The 8800 draws 160 watts by itself under load. Which isnā€™t that much considering an radeon 9700 draws 80watts.

Iā€™m planning on Windows XP Pro x64 so I can have extra RAM, I hope Nvidia comes out with 64 bit drivers for this GPUā€¦

[Edit] Grr! Newegg price just went up $20 to $670ā€¦:mad:

That think is a MONSTER. I just read a detailed review and my aging ATI Radeon 9200se 128mb PCI card is non-existant compared to it.

Iā€™m buying a new graphic card soon though but it will be under the 200 dollar price mark as I dont have a few thoulsand bucks to throw at a computer.

Actually, I think the only way for a new computer purchase to pay off (in the long run) is to throw a few thousand bucks at it.

Then your set up can pretty much last up 3-4 years, without any greater need to upgrade.

A ā€œdecentā€ set up will most likelly require an upgrade after a year, so youā€™r going to be spending money anyway. Might as well buy the best in the first place.

1 Like

Not only that if your doing anything video related (ie your accessing the primary display device) you donā€™t want to use anything except VRAM. For one things it is light years faster than normal sys RAM for a variety of reasons.

Iā€™m guessing you have an app you want to run that requires a certain amount of VRAM to work, and you are trying to circumvent that by forcing it to use regular RAM.

You could probably swing it if you were familiar in coding DirectX/OpenGL (depending on which itā€™s using), but most likely it would be glitchy and almost impossible to keep stable. DirectX is a foundation, it hard to circumvent a foundation and maintain stability.

My advice, pop $50 and get a newer card that has 64/128 on the card.

The effort and time it would take to get around your problem, if Iā€™m assuming it correctly is just not worth it, unless you love a challenge, and a ton of SDK research.

My new pcā€™s 7600gt feels old now and I just bought it a few months ago(I was planning to replace it with a 7900 or add another 7600)!

Price upped once again to $680! :mad::mad:

The Canadian based NCIXhas those for 500USD

link 2

edit: those are the GTS

What games wonā€™t run smooth on a 7600gt?

umm i liiked at the specs for that and the one card itā€™s faster than my whole computer :frowning: kinda sad well atleast my computer was cheeper like only 50$ total

3Dmark06 :cool:

My new pcā€™s 7600gt feels old now and I just bought it a few months ago(I was planning to replace it with a 7900 or add another 7600)!

Buy a card with a 256-bit Bus AND GDDR3. I recommend ATIā€™s X1950GT, best bang for buck at the moment. This card has no built-in artificial bottleneck. Stock clockrates are 500/1200 GPU/RAM and I can go as high as 650/1750, stable. Itā€™s getting into GF8800 territory at this speed. If you donā€™t overclock it, it stays pretty cool ('bout handwarm). Mine is supplied by a mere 350 Watts PSU. Price ~ 100 fleas

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102034

If you had just waited one more day your bump would have been EXACTLY one year. Lol.