NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

How is the this GPU related to Blender ? I am planning to buy a laptop with 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650.

Will I be able to use Blender for 3-4 years if I choose this GPU ?

Probably yes, but you’d better pick something with at least 6GB vRAM. The more vRAM the better, for both Cycles and Eevee.

1 Like

Well the ultimate question is only this: how deep your pocket is :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
If we talk about expensive but fairly affordable laptops, there are only a few GPU-s really
The 1660 or TI
The 3050 or TI
The 3060
The 2070 Super mobile
With that I drew the line, the rest is a big step ahead. As I guess the proces would go up in this order. Of all this, the 2070 super would be the best IMO, but more expensive.
The new 3050 setups are basically a budget option for those who cant afford the 3060 and upwards. Something like 1050 was when the 1080 was fancy IMO :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
If you want to choose a more budget solution, the 1660 setups can be fine, but to be more future proof a 6gb GPU would be needed

However, there might be one new AMD setup that you may consider
The ASUS ROG STRIX G15 ADVANTAGE EDITION. Not an advert lol :joy: but really. The 6800M packs 12 gb of VRAM and as strong as the 3070 or 3080, depends on the benchmarks. The pricing is much better though, somewhere around the 3060 or 2070S setups, but it also heavily depends on your country.

I am not sure about the pricing as the imports only started. It might only be available in the US yet, but you might want to check if you can grab it or maybe consider waiting for it.

PS: of course check the benchmarks and read reviews on the rigs to help you decide :grin:

1 Like

Sorry AgentTuron, didn’t notice I was replying to you…

I use a 1650 but as others will say:
If you can afford a more serious card you really want to get that.

You will not be able to use it for another 4 years but it really depends on what you’re gonna do with it. Do note that fast render times absolutely make you learn faster. for 720-1080p shots the card certainly suffices even for photo realistic scenes. Subsurface and glass is still slow. No idea if the card will still be supported then.

1 Like

Just to add my 2 cents in this…

If you want to use a laptop for Blender for at least 3 years, 8Gb of RAM, and 6Gb of VRAM is the minimum here. Anything less will become a frustrating experience.
And the 1x00 series cards are a bit older, so driversupport could be a problem in the future.

If a laptop is not really needed, I highly suggest a small workstation. It will be more future proof, as you can swap out, or add parts later on.

But we don’t know your financial situation, so YMMV here :wink:

1 Like

I am using 1650 Super. When you use Optix, you can catch good speed.

1 Like