NVidia Omniverse

I think Blender’s USD support is still young maybe? You might have better luck going from Blender to Houdini to Omniverse . Houdini USD is top notch! I’m also trying to get the RTX 3090! Sadly might not see a new stock until Feb 2021!

BTW guys if you have work done in Omniverse, feel free to post it here!

1 Like

Interesting, that’s actually what I do, the Houdini exported USD files always work!

It’s a Quadro RTX 6000 (Turing generation).

Try out the sample scenes that come with the Nucleus service (marbles, terrain flight, astronaut, attic). They are really high quality and look great both in real-time mode and path traced mode.

1 Like

This is because Substance team are heavily involved in this whole ecosystem in general. Adesk MaterialX is also at the forefront, based on Standard Surface Shader(Arnold base material) The whole idea is that all materials going into the system will be converted with no conflicts, both in and out, all stored in the USD.

Yes, you are seeing this right, this is Autodesk on github :rofl:

https://autodesk.github.io/standard-surface/

1 Like

I just tried it, seems pretty good! Anyone else had problem with using Iray? seems unstable and all the material was pink.

For the record autodesk does not “control” materialx or start it. Nor is there any stipulation that you use standard surface in materialx. Also should note that substance can now export materialx

I realise that, but they’re the ones who are investing heavily in its implementation in Max/Maya

Yes, Adesk and Substance team have been working very closely on this. There’s a very interesting webinar on it.

For once, Adesk have gotten out in front of a big industry change.

For people looking to upgrade to a RTX 3000 GPU, there’s now a contest with the Marbles scene assets:

Just make sure to have an RTX graphics card before “thinking” about joining the contest, as “omniverse create” only works with them.

Yeah, that’s a limitation. The minimum spec to run Omniverse is RTX 2070. I wonder if one can rent a GPU instance with RTX cards on Amazon’s cloud to join the contest, as the latest release features web streaming from a remote server: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/omniverse-create-2021-1-released/170387

I just randomly stumbled upon this:

It mentions some new Blender AI addon or something. Does anyone know what it is/what is it supposed to do? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Blender add-on integrates Blender with Omniverse, it’s a USD exporter / importer with some tweaks for Omniverse. Notably, it lets you use Audio2Face V2 on Blender rigs- their demo video shows it being used on the Blender Studio Rain rig.

One thing I don’t like at all is that you have to download NVIDIA’s version of Blender to get the addon. It’s a clear violation of the GPL license and I’m surprised the BF went along with it

I don’t think it is. Octane Renderer did something similar. Basically, in order to have some native C++ interop with the renderer, instead of the slow Python one, they had to customize Blender on C++ level. AFAIK it was OK as long as long as they’d provide you with complete source code upon request. So their changes had to be open source too.

On the other hand, even though licensing-wise it may be ok, getting a sketchy, delayed releases of Blender from nVidia is indeed a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty strong accusation to throw around, for someone listed as “BA Crew” i’d expect a little more restraint than that.

The version they ship currently on their launcher identifies as :

version: 3.4.0 Alpha, branch: universal-scene-description, commit date: 2022-11-29 19:18, hash: 98670cfe8242, type: release

the source for this specific commit is available over here on the blender repository you can also find this build (minus the addons) on the blender build bot site over here.

It installs 4 python addons that do not ship with stock blender, all are pure python addons and all have a license.txt in their zips clearly indicating compliance with the gpl license.

What exactly is the “Clear violation of the gpl license” here? The fact they stuck it in a launcher that has a bunch of non free stuff? It’s no different than steam, or the MS store in that regard…

4 Likes

Seems like it lets you use Audio2Face, Audio2Gesture, and Audio2Emotion in their Blender build rather than with their Omniverse apps?