NVIDIA PhysX SKD 5.1 open-sourced

A few hours ago, NVIDIA open-sourced their PhysX SDK 5.1 with Some 662k lines of code out there…

4 Likes

Wow, that’s actually good news and unexpected from nvidia (they very rarely open source something, tbh i dint recall anything open sourced from them recently).

Is this license compatible with GPL? As far as i understand its almost CC-BY.
They only require “Copyright (c) 2008-2022 NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.”

Looks like a standard MIT licence to me. So yes, it is GPL compatible.

I believe they started open sourcing linux GPU kernel modules under a joint MIT/GPL v2 licence a few months ago as well.

1 Like

I hope the UPBGE guys (and the Blender devs.) have a path away from Bullet Physics because I can see it going EOL now (at least as a general-purpose engine). By Nvidia’s announcement, that path looks to be them integrating PhysX and helping in its development.

1 Like

Yes, Nvidia physics is way more performant and stable with more features also.
And production prooven in so many triple A games.
While Unreal and Unity proposing other options than only Physix with Chaos physics or Havoc as a paid option.

1 Like

Currently CPU compatible… If I got it right, GPU binaries are closed source and they don’t plan to make the GPU features open source . I think that’s kind of a turn off for most developers unfortunately.

Good news, CEB Studios is already starting working on it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That would just be for the baking of the simulation right? I don’t know if I would mind that and then do the render on the GPU.