NVIDIA Quadro VVCQ2000-PB 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card

i have been making noises with Blender for a couple of weeks and am considering upgrading to actually use it

i don’t know what kind of slots my Dell desktop has
it was manufactured in 2007, the same year as PCI-e 2.0 was introduced
i don’t know if it supports it, or even if i have a PCI-e slot at all or just PCI slots

it has an AMD Athalon 64 x2 4000+ chip
but the 64 bit version of Blender would not run and i am using the 32-bit

can my computer accommodate this Quadro card?
how can I tell if i have a PCI-e 2.0 slot? (yes, i don’t know what that means)

okay i wiki’d my model

it only has on-board graphics so anything would be an improvement
it says it only has a PCI-e 1.0 slot

can anyone tell me what is the best video card that will plug into a PCI-e 1.0 slot for Blender use would be?

I suggest you make sure blender/cycles could actually use this card; i also think that upgrading your computer in general, would be of benefit.

check out http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html make sure you get the version for your system if it is different; this will tell you your system specs, including pci-e type.

Example: my system snapshot:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]171829[/ATTACH]

are you suggesting the download there to generate a summary of my system capabilities?

If you want to buy a Quadro for Blender only, don’t do it, it’s money wasted.

Quite true. I made that mistake myself.

Yes, I am.

apparently, a PCI E version 1.0 will accept a 2.0 x16 card
(for me, it has to be a low-profile version with a short bracket)
so there is more than one option available

i think i am just going to augment this system minimally with the base 256 MB card upgrade and some more RAM to keep me going for a few months while i get good enough to justify a new system

surprised to hear about the Quaddro card
spent a lot of time trying to find a ready-to-go unit with that card type and the other features i want

is any ‘gaming’ type computer a good choice?

was also considering base model workstation with no graphics card and then put whatever is optimal into it
(some have 256 MB Quaddro cards and some have FirePro included)

the other uses i would make of it principally would be playing Blu-ray discs using a 32" LCD as monitor
(can’t make out everything on the screen without my glasses in Blender)

Personally, if you can wait a couple of months, there are two reasons for doing so; new nvidia card released, and ati cards may finally be an alternative by then.

Other posts on site indicate cycles almost ready to go with ati cards.

I have been doing a fair amount of research along these lines, as well, lately. Based on what I’ve read so far, the only real reason to go with Quadro/Tesla is if you need the big RAM that some higher end cards provide. These cards are a fantastic amount of money, though.

I’ll toss this out , but am open to correction, as this isn’t personal experience, yet :
The Quadro (and Tesla) cards seem to be regarded as QCed better than a consumer-market GeForce, draw less power, use ECC memory, have double-precision floating point cores. Blender/Cycles uses single precision math, so the DP capability is an expensive, unused option. I watched a few YouTube comparison using non-Blender rendering software, of Quadro VS GeForce-4xx, and it is nice, but I believe the new GeForce 500-series cards are the best nVidia FLOPS-per-dollar solution for Blender.

Cards which are PCIe 2.0 compliant apparently cope well with backwards compatibility to PCIe 1.xxx. PCIe >2.0 (2.1, 2.1.x) seems to be hit and miss. All the nVidia hardware I’ve looked at has stayed at PCIe 2.0, so I am assuming there will be no issues with any of my PCIe 1.0 lanes when I start to populate them. Can’t comment on ATI.

As @Writer’s Block posted, nVidia is supposed to be hitting the market with new GeForce 600-series GPUs very soon. Denser architecture, less power consumption, more compute power and probably a lot more (faster) RAM. Lots of reasons to make do, for now, learn a few more techniques or something. Even if they are out of y/our price range, the 500-series cards should drop in price because of the new hotness. I’m hanging tough until I see what they’re offering.

i found a 256MB card that had all the right specs (but wasn’t coming up as an equivalent) on clearance for $29.99 with a $20.00 mail-in rebate
i added 2 GB of RAM
haven’t tried Blender yet but forum pages filled with animated GIF’s are loading at least twice as fast
should hold me over