nvidia vs ati who is best???

who do you think is best?

nvidia, because there cards have less compatability problems then ATI cards

ati makes the best cards, but they have the worst drivers (for linux or opengl) so you can’t use that power
nvidia makes some good cards with awesome drivers that harness the full power of the cards (good linux and opengl drivers)

oh dear…

My next card is going to be a nice ATI card (9800xt prolly) but I think NVidia makes better cards 'n drivers for the most part.

It really bothers me that games have been putting ‘built for (such n such a card)’ on their boxes. Its fair advertising I suppose but it does bother me for some reason. I figure, if you cant make the game work well with all cards, I wont bother paying for it :wink:

nvidia, cause blender runs better on it :wink:

i also have to say nvidia

Nvidia rocks. It’s as simple as that. I first began following them when a game I liked didn’t work on ATI cards. But I’ve found other reasons to love them since.

I’m pretty sure they get paid to do that, though the card companies will work with them to resolve any compatibility issues, so take those stickers with a grain of salt.

There is no ATi…

(IE ATi is the great satan…)

i just happen to own a nice Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB DDR

I use a real old Nvidia card, and I can say, it rules the computer. Never had problems with it until I played Splintercell pandora tomorrow, it couldn’t render pixel shadow shaders, so no splinter cell 2 :frowning:

But for else, it was awesome video card. My next Nvidia card I buy will be in 2006 or 2007, with 1GB ram on card. Mwhahahahahahha (evil laugh) :wink:

nVidia.
I got a geForce4 Ti card about a year and a half ago thats already horribly obsolete.

horribly obsolete? you gotta be kidding!

I got a geforce4 ti 4200 128mb that I got about 1year and a half ago, and it stills rule! Well, blender run smootly, and I can even play new generation games such as doom3…so it’s not obsolete at all…lets wait another 6months before saying so :stuck_out_tongue:

horribly obsolete? you gotta be kidding!

I got a geforce4 ti 4200 128mb that I got about 1year and a half ago, and it stills rule! Well, blender run smootly, and I can even play new generation games such as doom3…so it’s not obsolete at all…lets wait another 6months before saying so :P[/quote]

I haven’t tried Doom3 yet but I have the Everquest II beta and I get like 0.5 fps at the lowest detail settings.

well you have to expect that an ‘older’ card will choke on next gen games a little bit. I mean, no matter what you buy, its only going to be ‘the big thing’ for a few months, tops.

my friend has a 9800 and it runs Doom3 on medium settings fairly well. about 60fps on average.

Would love to get my hands on a PCI express board though…not till theres one that supports an AMD chipset :wink:

Well, until ATI gets their act together and impliments decent drivers (for multiple OS’s), and fixes their many compatability problems, I’d say Nvidia.

I haven’t tried Doom3 yet but I have the Everquest II beta and I get like 0.5 fps at the lowest detail settings.

Umm… it’s a beta.

I doubt the engine will be optimized too much more in the future.

well, it certainly could be

but the graphics will be demmanding, and those without directx 9 cards probably will have issues with performance