Object in multiple scenes in game engine

Hi guys, I’d like to have an object receive messages and generally react to actuators in every scene in game engine. I began with just 2 scenes. I tried to achieve this by linking the object to another scene, so it is present in 2 scenes. However, when I start the game in the other scene, the object does not react at all. What’s even more puzzling, when I use ‘make single user’ for the object in that other scene (so it effectively is only present there), it still does not respond to actuators in that scene. Anyone any idea? Thx in advance.

Hi piotr1, it seems that you’re not using python. In that case you can use the message actuator to send commands between scenes. Lets say that if you press the ‘w’ key, a ‘w’ message is sent. Use the message sensor to receive the message and act accordingly.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I wanted to have my object attached to a python controller, which then would be active in every scene, a kind of main controller. An object that’s placed in an inactive scene receives no messages. Of course one can overcome this issue by using only per-scene controllers or always adding an almost empty scene containing only the main controller. I was just curious if an object can really be present in all scenes.

1 objects, no. but copies of one object yes.

What you want is just a save mechanism. so once you do anything you save, go to next level etc you load the saved stats. this makes you believe that 1 object is everywhere.(to handle that data)

anyway just with logic bricks this is not possible (unless you keep the overlay scenes active at any time).

This is something you need python for, either write your own save/load section for the things you want to have in every scene, or make use of globalDict.

This way of linking is only valid for Blender. When the BGE (your game) loads the scene it will create an indipendent copy of the object.

All objects in all active scenes can receive any message send from within any other active scene.

Be aware you send the message in frame T. The message will be received at frame T+1 (one frame delay).

Make sure your sender is sending the message (with the appropriate subject). Typically you do not need to set the “To:” field.
Make sure your recipients are filtering the exact same subject the sender is using.