Object moves with armature, but hair particles attached to object stay static

I have a tree, I want to animate the tree. Armature works, the trees trunk and branches move properly, but none of the leaves do, they stay static. How do I make them move together?

I’ve made sure my armature goes to the end of some branches to see if that was the issue, it wasn’t. The particle system is currently above the armature in the modifier properties tab.

Can anyone help me figure out what I’m missing? I feel like it’s something simple.

The modifier stack works top-down. The armature modifier must be on the top. It deforms the mesh. Then the particle modifier works with the deformed mesh and adds the particles at the correct spots.

(When you have the particle modifier on the top then it works with the original mesh and places the particles. Then the armature modifier moves the mesh away and the particles stay in place.)

1 Like

Thank you! Another post I found said the opposite. Changing the order worked and my leaves are now following the branches!

This is true sometimes, but not always- for example, if you have a Mirror modifier on a mesh, and you have the Armature modifier above the Mirror modifier, the mesh won’t deform correctly with the rig. In this case, the Armature has to be below the Mirror modifier.

1 Like

Interesting.

I have a new problem. I’ve imported my animation into Unity and even though the leaves now follow my tree in Blender, the leaves are static in Unity. What the heck did I do wrong?

I did try and convert my leaves to a mesh, but that just left me with a solid image with no transparancy around the leaves and the same static leaves issue.

I’m not sure… I haven’t used Unity in years, and I’ve never done very much with it :confused: Maybe try this? https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/59047/baking-a-particle-system-in-blender-to-use-in-unity