Object only bevels when Clamp Overlay is switched off

Modern house in Udemy next try Ground.blend (1.4 MB)

Hi there

I got a question concerning the Bevel Modifyer used at this Object.
The Bevel Modifyer only works if I switch “Clamp Overlay” to off but then it slightly distorts my object. Otherwise the Bevel Modifyer has no effect at all.
Similar objects in the same scene seem to bevel fine with the “Clamp Overlay” option switched on.
I applied all transformations, the faces are pointing in the correct direction and the objects seems to be “clean”.
Are there any ideas why this specific object is causing problems to bevel, why others don’t?

Thanks!

You have a double vertex somewhere and it is triggering the clamp. Try a merge by distance first.

Thanks. I already did it. There seem to be no double vertices as far as I know and there aren’t any that get deleted when I do the Merge by Distance option.

Also unapplied scale and flipped normals affect the bevel.

I’ve moved every single Vertex now and there seem to be no double vertices.
However the Object is aligned directly next to another object (which is beveling fine) and some vertices of both objects are overlapping as these Objects are directly adjacent. Would this also be considered a double vertex, although they are different Objects?
Scale is applied and and the normals seem to be pointing in the correct direction.

Would there be an option to use the bevel modifyer only for certain edges? Then I would just use it for those that work and skip the rest.

Yes, change the limit method in the modifier to Weight and then select the edges and set the bevel weight in the Item properties (N pannel).

Awesome! Thanks. That works fine

The original model has some edges that are zero length and attached to the same vertex. I don’t know how that happened - the modeling tools are not supposed to do that. I don’t know of a tool that can remove such self-loop edges. Maybe your attempt to merge vertices that are close left it in this state, though that would be a bug if so.

The Dissolve operator is capable of creating impossible geometry, so perhaps something similar happened here as well.

Thanks guys.

That’s actually a good question, how this happened.
I didnt’t use Dissolve and Merge by Distane was switched to 0.0001 m, so to a very low number. Cannot really tell, if this was still sufficient for messing up the structure?

The option to bevel just the edges needed works fine, however I guess I will run into the same problem again in the future.

While having used the Bevel function only at certain edges, I now found out that there is still one edge where Bevel does create weird distortions (picture 1) and another case where 2 edges don’t bevel at all (the small edge between them does bevel properly).
I have no idea, why this is the case at these edges while the others bevel normally or what’s different at the problematic edges.
Scale is applied, Merge by distance has been used, I cannot find any double vertices or edges.

Thank you so much again.

What I’ve finally seen in Wireframe mode is, that the curvature of the bevel seems to alter directions.
While the curvature starts inwards (as usual) at the beginning of the edge, it looks like it’s bending outwards at the end of the edge.

At another edge it starts inwards and is bending upwards at the end of the edge.

How can that be?
Even deleting the problematic vertices and recreating them does not seem to solve this problem.

Is it possible to manually set the desired direction of the curvature of the bevel modifyer (and to force it, to keep bending inwards)?

Thank you so much.Modern house in Udemy next try Ground.blend (1.8 MB)