Object particles and mapping

I’ve got a load of objects as particles coming out of another object. I’m trying to use a ‘Blend’ texture to make the particle objects bigger in the middle but when I click ramp they all flip on their sides and I don’t know how to get them back.

Is this just a bug?

Also I can’t seem to map the texture from top to bottom, I’ve tried all the mapping coordinate options.

Maybe you can enable on the textures box the option “STRAND/PARTICLE” on mapping pannel,

hope it works

No that’s no good, seems to treat the whole object as one co-ordinate. UV seems to come the closest but when I actually render it the positions are completely different from how they look in the preview.

Gave up on the ‘Blend’ texture and just created a jpeg of a gradient, then mapped the UV mesh to it. Seems to be working at the moment though the particles do tend to twist to weird new angles at times, I’ll just have to try not to change any settings and hope it all stays as it is.

I case anyone wondered what I was doing here is my (probably massively processor inefficient) version of a snow covered tree.

I had hoped to use the particle system again to scatter many of these across a small landscape but I don’t know if this is possible or not. Can you have particles coming from a particle?

Nope, doesn’t look like you can. Ah well, back to the drawing board.