Object vs Mesh

I would like to understand Blender’s use of the terms mesh and object a little better. For example, starting with a primitive, I create a stool. I UV map it with a wood texture and apply a material to it. I normally apply the same material to both the mesh (ME) and the object (OB). However, I could apply differerent materials to them. Also, the Outliner lists both the object and mesh separately.

So, Blender sees the object and the mesh as different, related, things. In my simple view, I see them as the same thing. Is this because an object might be something other that a mesh, like a curve, or is there more to it?

Yes, this is partially because an Object can have any sort of data linked to it (Mesh, Curve, Nurbs, Meta, Lamp, Camera, Armature, Empty). One of Blender’s strengths is the way it organizes data. Let’s say you want five of your stool. You can make a complete duplicate (Shift D) of the mesh data to make the new object, but this takes up hard drive space. The more powerful way to do this is to make a new object, but to have the same mesh linked to both of them (Alt D). Another reason this can be good is if you found something you wanted to fix on the stools. With linked duplicates, since they all use the same mesh data, all the objects will update when you edit one of their meshes.

Hopefully this helps a little.

egan, thanks. Yes is does help a little.