I’m certain I’m “doing things wrong” (in many ways) but been bashing my head against this particular problem, and can’t see a solution.
I have a scene depicting some viruses as boids floating in air. Lots. These are based on two, but I thought to add a third type. I would of course thin out the herd a bit.
So I settled on a hairy pill virus type, and made it in its own Blender instance. WHen I tried to append it into my virus cloud thing, I got an instant crash (Blender just vanishes) as soon as I press play. Even on restart of Blender, without the new virus, the old version crashes now when animation played. At one point I found it was only at the end/loop to beginning. At another it was whenever play was pressed. The file was corrupted?
Thinking I was misunderstanding the Append function, I re-modeled the pill virus with hair in the saved as version. Everything was fine until I added hair. Without hair, I could animate the pill virus (to move from point A to B, or rotate) But when I add hair, even without hair dynamics, the act of trying to play the animation crashes Blender immediately.
I’m using Blender 2.81a, on a Windows 7 Pro with Sandy Bridge 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM, ASUS ROG 1080ti. I’m using Eevee because I can’t stand Cycles (probably a basic misunderstanding on my part)
As for more efficient ways of accomplishing this scene, that’s likely a multiple topic for other threads.
Thanks for any input! (I’ll figure out a way to post the file somewhere… it’s too big for here)