Ocean Temple

Made a old, wet building, and put a dyntopo experiment in it! The scene is a bit of a image to one my first decent works in blender (brace yourselves, newbie using 2.52 incoming.

I used dyntopo to build a statue in the style of those goddess figurine thingies to put in it. It’s a lot of fun to use (you all should grab the release candidate and try it!). Well, until you have to retopo it anyway. :frowning: It tends to leave a lot of facetted areas that I haven’t yet found the magic trick for getting rid of.

Rendered mostly in Lux, with some sunbeams from BI (doing an actual volume in Lux would’ve tripled the render time, easily).

Nice, silent image. I can almost hear the echo.
But, wet? I don’t see it.

I used dyntopo to build a statue in the style of those goddess figurine thingies to put in it. It’s a lot of fun to use (you all should grab the release candidate and try it!). Well, until you have to retopo it anyway. :frowning: It tends to leave a lot of facetted areas that I haven’t yet found the magic trick for getting rid of.

I don’t quite understand what you mean, are you using the latest builds?
Retopology on such static assets can be a piece of cake. Use the quasi auto retopo method:
Duplicate the sculpt, apply a decimation modifier at extreme settings (0.05-0.03). This will give you a ~1000-2000 tri faces mesh. Add a multires modifier (subd levels as needed) + shrinkwrap mod. Use shrinkwrap as project method, just check directions as negative and positive. Apply this last modifier. Now you have a nice multires mesh for more sculpting. UVs, Baking normalmaps… etc etc
It sounds complicated but it’s not, it’s fast.