octane render screencap

decided to screencap octane render’s demo version while i was trying it out, this is an old guitar model i made with blender nearly an year ago and exported (forgot to export the screws and some eletric parts so take it easy please :P)

the render mode is set to direct lighting as opposed to path tracing, so i beleive the render would still look much better but i decided to leave as is for the screencap and liked the result. i am rather fond of octane’s GPU rendering

octane is running on a geforce 8800gts 320mb, windows vista 32bit core2duo system with 2gbs of ram in dual channel

hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

Attachments

Hello, I have been reading a lot about Octane Render Software. I have seen many renders that look really good. However since you have tried it out ( Demo Version ) I will address you a few questions that would make my final decition of spending or not 100 Euros on that software:

How fast is it in comparison with the Blender Internal Renderer? Per frame, do you see some improvement?:confused:

I read that demo version does not have Blender Plugin! How did you export your Blender guitar into Octane?:eek:

I am looking for a better render and faster than Blender Internal ! :spin: Any suggestion?:evilgrin:

Nice guitar, the video on youtube is a bit slow but it is a nice example or the real time feature.:RocknRoll:

Hey Animaticoide! Thank you for the comment, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Well, I plan on purchasing it myself however that is because I am a big fan of the software myself and it seems to suit my specific needs quite well.

However I will try to shine some light on the subject.

Octane is an un-biased physically based GPU renderer.
You basically import your scene into octane and play around with materials, lighting and use other features that are nice like switching from direct lighting to pathtracing that gives really accurate render results. However to use octane you will need a fairly recent GeForce, mine is about 2 years old an 8800GTS. You will need an Nvidia GeForce card because octane uses Nvidia CUDA technology and your GPU does the rendering as opposed to the CPU, so to answer your question about render time yes it is blazing fast. If you happen to have an even better GeForce card I would assume you could get up to 10x faster rendering with octane, and with nice shading shadows and reflections.

The point is you basically render IN the viewport, you see glass objects with IOR in the viewport in realtime(or close to realtime depending on your system), you have realtime glossy reflections and well, you can browse around and look at the scene with a very polished quality, seeing the lighting interact with the object and it’s reflective properties in realtime gave my workflow and development a whole new concept.

You can acheive Godly results with any render engine as long as you master it, I see people who pwn everyday with Blender Internal and I myself love BI, but I do plan on using octane render because it gave me whole different feel as to the production of the scene, the viewport is very interactive and that helps me visualize camera angles, material properties and lighting. Not to mention it is blazing fast for insane render qualities.

If you do plan on purchasing it make sure your system and drivers are up for the task and also, depending on how you judge it’s performance you might want to consider waiting for the software to develop a bit more. I didn’t have any single bugs or crashes but depending on what you may need it for, it might not suit you, if you can however, give it a try, download the demo version of octane for free and see what it’s really about.

What I did was use blenders python script to export my scene as a Wavefront .OBJ file, once you have your selected objects exported as a .OBJ you just import the scene to octane and the magic starts.

Sorry for the giant text lol…
I hope this helps

Hey ive had a look around the Octane site and i got to say there is some nice stuff in there. But i got to say that this render doesn’t do it for me at all. Its just looks flat and too much blue in the environment lighting. The materials look dull and the lack of reflection in your chrome spoils the look.

Ive used a few renderers in the past including MR, Vray and now starting with blender internal. If you don’t get the basics of your lighting and materials right you could use the best renderer in the world it will still not look right.

Sorry to sound negative but it needs work. Its desperate for a HDRI map and a nicer lighting rig. Give it another go and post your progress.

Thanks

Paul

You can’t really compare it to BI since Octane is using the GPU to render instead of the CPU which BI uses. So how good it is depends on your video card, if your card is good then Octane can render pretty fast.

Also very good render JY. Looks great :smiley:

Btw can you post a link to that Octane exporter script? I’ve been looking for it for some time now :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all thank both of you for your comments and time.

Well… actually NinthJake I find giant551’s comment rather usefull and I do plan on re-uploading a new version of the scene with HDRI and actual lights, this only used 1 sunlight the default of the octane render’s demo version. As I said in pathtracing mode this would have better lighting and reflections as well as overall shading and material properties but that would have taken longer for me to tweak and it was the first time I had ever tryed ocatane lol. I still haven’t even looked at how to use an HDRI map or mesh lights or lamps or whatever system it uses, I only tested the default sun and I liked the speed of the result very much. I will be re-uploading with more accurate materials and actual lights and or HDR however I will wait until I actually purchase the software.

Now, NinthJake as I’ve said before I haven’t yet purchased the software so I haven’t really used the blender/octane exporter script, but I am really looking forward to it. What you want to do is just select the objects in your blender scene that you want to export, go to the python scripts tab and it’s Scripts / Export / Wavefront .OBJ and there you go :smiley: (Also might be usefull to check apply modifiers sometimes). I hope this helps. Thanks again for the comments :slight_smile:

(Thought a screenshot might be nice)

http://www.blender.com.br/images/fbfiles/images/export.png

It sounds interesting if it could render lets say 10 times faster ! I know with a good video card Nvidia. However the exporter you mentioned is a simple Object for singles render. The website says we should be able to render entire animations, so there should be a plugin to export the whole set of IPOs and some conversion process. I guess it should be able to import lights too. But the demo version does not have this plugin for what I’ve read.:o

Luxrender is going to be able to do everything that Octane does (including the GPU accelerated rendering), in the near future anyway, and this while it currently has quite a bit more material options and for no cost at all as it’s Open Source and GPL

They even have a 2.5 exporter in the works that integrates Lux in the interface almost to the point where it seems like it’s the native renderer for 2.5 (doesn’t support everything yet but it can now even render Blender’s hair particles)

Yup Animaticoide, you can do great animations with octane render I’ve seen a bunch of them but you will have to purchase the software, the demo version is just a static viewport that you can use to get nice ideas of camera angles and lighting for your scene, as well as tweaking materials. I was just amazed with the GPU rendering technology and don’t know much about it yet but it is very impressive.

AceDragon as I’ve mentioned before I’m new to GPU rendering, so I don’t know much about Luxrender’s new GPU integrator, are there any builds that I could try out? I love luxrender and find it simply amazing but the render times (with the CPU based version) are unmanagable for myself, however the results are great. And is the Luxrender GPU accelerator also OpenCL and CUDA based?

Thank you both very much for your comments, and all the help. I will be reading up on the subject these days and hopefully I will come up with something interesting. All the best :wink:

AceDragon: Well that sounds like something interesting to look at. I have read here and there about Luxrender, however I haven’t tried it out. I guess I will put an eye on this too. However the GPL capability is by now the most important thing I am looking for. May be it is a matter of time we get the GPL implementation done. I think it is worthy a try on Luxrender. Thanks for the suggestion.

JOAO Jates: Well keep us posted about this. If I get something I will update this thread.