OctaneRender™ Blender 2.83.3 plugin version 2020.1.4 - 21.12 [STABLE] released

What is the source of your information? I couldn’t find anything in the octane forums.

I use an i9 cpu with a 1080. My laptop is only 1 and a half year old. Standalone works, the previous build of 2020 prime works it’s just the server that doesn’t work when I switched to studio.

Here you go… :slight_smile:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=75172&start=10#p385990

Have you re-downloaded the studio server? I did have an issue (although I can’t remember which version) where they had put the enterprise version of the server for the studio server download.

About 13 hours ago I did. Lino told me to make a custom folder for the blender octane instillation and one separate for the server. I did that and I was up and running. Just a quicky while im here. Whats the best format for displacements from quixel to use in octane blender if you know?

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t use Quixel as I only use Linux so I’m not sure which format would be best. In general I have found Octane is very flexible when it comes to displacement maps. You should be able to adjust it to work with Quixel.

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, Linux and OSX versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

OctaneRender Studio subscribers can access their software from the “Downloads” section of their Customer Account Page.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Updated to 2.83.1

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• For multi EXR, use the original pass names directly(do not include the file name or frame number)

You can read about new features of OctaneRender™ 2020.1.3 here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=75172

@linograndi Sorry, but I haven’t got time to read through the entire thread. I’m coming from a Max/Maya Arnold rendering background(Corona/Vray/MentalRay previous) and I’m moreso interested in the quality of Octane vs Cycles. The speed isn’t as important to me these days because we are on the cusp of a GPU/software real-time revolution.

I’ve been using cycles more and more this past year for look-dev and even some finished work. I still use Arnold day to day and will continue to do so. I realise you work for OTOY, so I’m sure there will be some bias, :wink: , but can you point me to some examples of the quality that Octane can produce on more high end examples(rather than speed test scenes) - I’m particularly interested in the skin shader, displacement, and GGX shading quality in comparison to Cycles. Cheers.

Hi!
I was using Octane well before I started working for OTOY (which happened about 2 years ago).
My advice is to try Octane (it’s free for Blender up to 1 GPU) and judge its quality by yourself:

https://render.otoy.com/shop/prime.php?

This is a test I made with the famous Emily model:

You can find many examples of Octane’s render quality in the Octane Facebook group!

Moreover, since you’re using Arnold (which I personally love) you may like this:
" OTOY and Autodesk are collaborating on making the physically-based Standard Surface shader work between Octane and Arnold by integrating Standard Surface as a core node in Octane. Thus, interchange between OTOY’s ecosystem and Arnold will work through a single scene system to launch jobs for Octane, Arnold, the real-time Brigade path-tracing engine, and so on."

Link:

1 Like

Thanks, but I beat you to it. :smiley: I decided to download it after I posted. Been meassing with it the last 2 hours. Initially I’m liking the look. Is it set up for ACEScg out of the box, do you know, or do you have to point it to the OCIO config file? I can’t find anything related to ACEScg in the colour management.

Microsurface displacement details look solid. I’ll have to set up the Louise eisko asset to run some tests myself. Is it using a random walk SSS shading model? I’ll be sure to check that group for more examples. Thanks. EDIT: just read in your post that it is using random walk.

This is very interesting. Max/Maya teams are hard at work on USD/MaterialX and the Adesk Standard Surface 1.0.1 was recently added to Maya 2020. I have to say, I’m very excited as to what Brigade will bring to the table. Certainly interesting rendering times we live in. :smiley:

I test Octane, and I’m very satisfied with results. Especially how Octane treat displacement and glass. Even my single GTX 1070 give me good results. But there is lack of tutorials / guides. I have ( limited ) experience with couple renders, but when come to “details” some guidance is welcome. At least, I do not waste time on “basic” stuff. Best source, and my starting point are https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrX3T62vasJkJx5dLy-sRWQ/videos
Do you know for other similar channel? I try to watch Octane tutorials for C4D, but there are annoying differences. Stuff dedicated to Blender Octane will be much more useful.

The Octane Facebook group can be a very useful resource for any question about Octane for Blender.
Which features would you like to be explored in video tutorials?

I’ve been making some live session on Twitch, and planning to make some more videos about Octane for Blender.

I also made a couple of tutorials for the NVIDIA Youtube channel (more to come):

The second part of the displacement video, which will describe how Vertex Displacement works, will be out soon.

4 Likes

Thanks for answer. Well, I’m interested in all features :smile: Seriously, every renderer are unique, in practice, problems arise in unexpected places. Stuff which work in Vray need different approach in Cycles or Arnold or… Probably “case studies” , short videos which deal wit specific stuff will be good approach.
Most of time people are not aware of some functions, tricks, workaround… “hacks”.

We are happy to share a new release of Octane.

Octane 2020.1.4 is our latest maintenance update and the version currently recommended for production use.

Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 435.80 for Windows or 435.12 for Linux to enable support for RTX hardware acceleration. There are no OSX drivers that currently support RTX.

Should you find any issues with this release please report using this thread so we can make sure we provide you with the best feedback.

Changes since OctaneRender 2020.1.3:

Bugfixes:

• Fixed issue causing Octane to not to start on machines using older CPUs without AVX instruction set support.
  • Fixed issue causing OSX slaves to deactivate their license even if there are other instances of standalone or plugins currently running on that machine.
  • Fixed triplanar projection in OSL when used as emission texture distribution.
  • Fixed issue causing displacement nodes not working with layered material nodes.
  • Fixed white balance picking when upsampling was enabled.
  • Fixed a crash on Windows 7 when upsampling was enabled.
  • Fixed documentation and typos of a few dirt texture node pins.
  • Fixed batch render script causing erroneous results with scenes using universal camera, geometric primitives, vectron union and volumetric spotlight nodes.
  • Fixed issue causing hair primitives and geometry using texture displacement to temporarily disappear after scene some scene changes.

Other changes:

• Geometric primitives material defaults to the default diffuse material.

Under investigation:

• Auto-bump disappears in some cases using a mix of RTX and non-RTX GPUs with RTX on.
  • Octane fails to start in some machines with old dual Xeon CPU setups.
  • CUDA error in some scenarios when using NVlink due to mismatching barriers.
4 Likes

Hello guys. I’ve downloaded 1.3 and server also. I checked doc on how to install from otoy wiki. I installed both. I run first server before run octane but it has been shown octane.dll. any help?

1 Like

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, Linux and OSX versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

OctaneRender Studio subscribers can access their software from the “Downloads” section of their Customer Account Page.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Upgraded to Octane 2020.1.4

• Upgraded to Blender 2.83.3

• Supported to export Deep EXR in the Octane Export Panel

• Supported to use Blender Volume Object in Octane

• Please use Blender Volume for OpenVDB from now on

• The old way to use OpenVDB(Mesh data panel - Octane properties - Volume properties) will be hidden if it’s not used in the files

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Add a “Maximize Instancing” feature(Octane Server - Maximize Instancing). When enabled, Octane will try to scatter instances as much as possible
2 Likes

Hi Odilkhan, not sure what your error is, can you post the complete error message? Also what system are you using?

One question… ( maybe stupid ). Do I need to unistall old version of Octane Server, or new installation will upgrade old version?

Hi Alek,

I’m not sure about Windows and OSX, but on Linux I just install over the old version and I haven’t had any issues. If you are not sure, you can always delete the old version and then install the new. I’m pretty sure that the Windows version comes with an installer which would do that for you?

Jason

1 Like

I’ve included Octane in an overview of free renderers for Blender Nation.

3 Likes