OctaneRender™ Blender 4.0 plugin version 2023.1.2 - 28.13 [STABLE] released

Did you try and run standalone? It’s possible that the Blender plugin doesn’t support the 3000 series yet? I’m not sure about it though as I have a 2070. I know the latest RC version of standalone does support the 3000 series.

Hey! I haven’t, but the plugin seems pretty stable at the moment, despite the fact that it probably shouldn’t work. It’s just a bit touchy (and I can’t use denoise). From what support have told me, it’s just a case of waiting for the 2.9.1 Octane build. I know the vanilla release was yersterday, and from I can gather the Octane release tends to come a few weeks after, so I’m not too worried about waiting.

Note: you must have a enterprise or studio licence to test the RC versions.

We are happy to share our third release candidate build of Octane 2020.2. Note this is is still not a production build so please do not use this for production purposes.

This release includes now all features which will be part of the final 2020.2 stable release. This includes fixes from issues you reported in previous builds as well as some functional updates according to your feedback. Note we are keeping track of all your reports but there are still some fixes could not make it to this release, we are making good progress and they should be coming before this goes into production. Thank you all for your support.

Should you find any issues with this release please report using this thread so we can make sure we provide you with the best feedback.

Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows or 455.23 on Linux to use this version. No driver updates are required for macOS 10.13 (CUDA).

This version supports the new NVIDIA Ampere architecture on Windows and Linux. Kepler cards with compute model lower than 3.5 are just supported on macOS.

Changes since OctaneRender 2020.2 RC2:

New features:

• Added additional blending modes to the Composite texture node.
  • Added a mask input to the Composite texture node which is used as an additional input to some of the blending operations.
  • Added alpha operations to the Composite texture node.
  • Added new Color AOV node which represents a color input to be used as an AOV.
  • Added enable flag to each layer within a Composite AOV which when enabled such layer is used during compositing.
  • Added opacity input to each layer within a Composite AOV which specifies the opacity channel used to control the transparency of this layer.
  • Added alpha operation input to each layer within a Composite AOV which specifies the layer’s alpha operation.

Bugfixes:

• Fixed CUDA error when using AI light.
  • Fixed vignetting which was not working on composite aov.
  • Fixed issue updating composite AOV settings when coneccted via a linker node.
  • Fixed chaos texture producing LDR output for HDR input images.
  • Fixed issue which would cause to display ? instead of the number of CUDA cores in the device settings for Ampere devices.
  • Fixed displaying unnecessary OptiX error message for devices with compute models lower than 5.0.
  • Fixed white artifacts showing up when rendering with compute model 3.5.

Other changes:

• The Chaos texture does not perform histogram calculations by default when the upstream texture is updated. This would generate results closer to the input for LDR images at the cost of background processing. The old behaviour still be enabled using Histogram invariant blending.
  • Updated the way some blending modes are referred to in the Composite texture node.
  • Updated Composite AOV node icon.
  • Moved common pins from Render AOV input, Image AOV input and Composite AOV into each of the layers of Composite AOV node.

Black friday Deals

I downloaded the latest version 22. and I keep getting the same message (waiting for image…) when i press on the render icon i also cant press the activation status button for some reason i dont know if you can help me with this

Hi, this sounds like your Octane server is not running.
Does this happen with the default cube, too?

Cheers, mib

1 Like

As @mib2berlin wrote, it sounds like the Octane server is not running before you start the render, is that the case?

Otherwise it might be a case of a first-time only cache formation. In that case, if the wait takes too long, restart Blender, open your scene and retry rendering. When I use LuxcoreRender it works that way the first time I use it: I wait and wait for the initial CUDA cache calculation, and only after a restart I get a rendering result.

2 Likes

Thanks, for the replies, im running the octane server before going into blender and only using the default cube. I have been using the older blender for octane and had no issues with it but I just wanted to get the new release and its not working for some reason. I cant even check my activation status or device preferences. Its still waitng for image after restarting and reinstalling.

Thanks, bb

1 Like

Strange. I’d suggest asking it at the Octane Discord server. There’s a number of helpful people there.

Good luck!

Hi, it is not actually relevant for the Blender for Octane version but a preview of Octane Render 2021 is published with outstanding improvements.
Sooner or later Blender for Octane will get this features so I post the forum link here:

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Hi Blockbean_4, I would look at your driver version. Make sure that you are running at least version 451 of the Nvidia driver. Any earlier and it will not work.

Note: you must have an enterprise or studio license to test the RC versions.

We are happy to share our fourth release candidate build of Octane 2020.2. Note this is is still not a production build so please do not use this for production purposes.

This release includes now all features which will be part of the final 2020.2 stable release. This includes fixes from issues you reported in previous builds as well as some functional updates according to your feedback. Note we are keeping track of all your reports but there are still some fixes could not make it to this release, we are making good progress and they should be coming before this goes into production. Thank you all for your support.

Should you find any issues with this release please report using this thread so we can make sure we provide you with the best feedback.

Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows or 455.23 on Linux to use this version. No driver updates are required for macOS 10.13 (CUDA).

This version supports the new NVIDIA Ampere architecture on Windows and Linux. Kepler cards with compute model lower than 3.5 are just supported on macOS.

Changes since OctaneRender 2020.2 RC3:

New features:

• Added support for the OSL getmessage() function.
  • OSL cameras shaders can use setmessage("octane:throughput", value) to set the initial throughput of a ray. This can be used for things like implementing a custom optical vignette.
  • Added new blend modes Dest, DestAtop, Heat, Levr, Source to the Composite texture node.
  • Updated Render AOV input and Image AOV nodes with new pin Output channels which allows selecting a set of channels to output.

Bugfixes:

• Fixed CUDA error when enabling the upsampler.
  • Fixed bug that would cause an expanded composite AOV node to get disconnected from its input pins.
  • Fixed a few issues with handling of the OSL getmessage() function.
  • Fixed application crash while using composite AOV in combination with the upsampler.
  • Fixed incorrect behaviour with Composite texture alpha operation Blend mode.
  • Fixed issue with the Composite texture which would take inputs in the wrong order.
  • Fixed potential VRAM leak when using RTX when a render is stopped.
  • Fixed application crash when using the white balance picker.
  • Fixed Cryptomatte node ID pass which did not contain the right information.
  • Fixed issue causing some HTTP requests to OctaneLive to fail in plugins.
  • Fixed application crash on Windows when loading ORBX files with OCIO views different to the one in the app settings.
  • Fixed application crash on Windows when running Lua scripts which would raise an error.
  • Fixed application crash on Windows upon the application startup or plugin being loaded.
  • Fixed issue not allowing exporting render passes into a root drive folder on Windows.
  • Fixed application crash upon startup caused by missing or corrupt monitor color profiles.
  • Fixed an application hang ahppening when connecting a Render AOV input or Image AOV input directly to a composite aov group.
  • Fixed behaviour with Beckmann BSDF showing discontinuity with transmission values near zero and exactly zero.
  • Fixed issue causing a crash in plugins after evaluating Composite AOV and Composite texture nodes.
  • Fixed issue causing auto bumpmap to disappear momentarily when using RTX.
  • Fixed shadow pass changing the brightness of main beauty pass when we have no direct light source.
  • Fixed a crash when reading images from the texture cache.
  • Fixed cryptomatte passes rendering incorrectly when environment medium was enabled.

Other changes:

• Changes in the Composite texture node:

• The mask input becomes opacity and old opacity input has been removed.
    • Grouped displaying of Composite texture blend modes into categories.
    • Separated Porter-Duff compositing operations for each layer into their own input pin so now they can be applied in combination to the blend mode.
    • Improved calculations for some blend modes.
    • Removed blend mode Matte.
  • Grouped displaying of Camera imager response curves into categories.

1 Like

ist there a release date for the blender plugin?

1 Like

Not that I know of, they still haven’t released the Linux and OSX version of the last plugin release. :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m also eagerly awaiting the next Octane Blender release. I’ve come to appreciate Octane more and more lately.

1 Like

Not that I know of, they still haven’t released the Linux and OSX version of the last plugin release.

Waiting on the Linux version here as well. But at least we know it’s [probably] coming. I’m also still waiting for the 2.8 version of V-Ray - over a year now and still not a peep. Not much hope for it. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, Octane and Vray 5 for blender would be the strongest combinations for me

1 Like

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, Linux and OSX versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

OctaneRender Studio subscribers can access their software from the “Downloads” section of their Customer Account Page.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Upgraded to Blender 2.91
  • Supported the new volume modifiers(mesh to volume, volume to mesh, volume displace)

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Fixed string inputs in the OSL nodes
  • Fixed the issue that the startup file cannot include resources in the C driver
  • Fixed the redundant volume data update
  • Fixed deep image/render passes export issue

This includes the OSX and Linux versions as well. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, darn, I thought this was the free tier. :cry:

1 Like