The world’s fastest and most feature-rich unbiased Octane render engine 2019.1.4 that integrates completely with Blender 2.80.
This is the first release of OctaneRender™ for Blender® 2019 for Blender® 2.8 is available for the first time on Octane’s new free tier!
As with all experimental builds, please do not use this for production purposes.
We can’t guarantee that scenes saved with this version will be compatible in future releases, and we anticipate there being several maintenance releases.
In the meantime, we look forward to your feedback on this release.
At this point, we have hit feature lock and would be moving towards stabilizing the plugin.
More OctaneRender™ 2019 for Blender® 2.8 Videos
You can read about new features of OctaneRender™ 2019.1.4 here:
- Materials with dynamic layer configuration(e.g. Group Layers, Composite Materials) are not supported in LiveDB and LocalDB
- Global mesh type override is not included in the current release
Download Octane 2019 for Blender 2.8 beta (free tier) - Updated 2019-11-12
Download OctaneRender™ for Blender® 2019 for Blender® 2.8 - with free new tier!
Why can’t you post your Octane stuff in just one thread. Its looking a whole lot like spam…
Because it’s different programs.
No its just an excuse to spam on their behalf. You already had a thread and then you made another and then this…
I think you are being too sensitive. You could say that this thread could be put into the Octane 4 thread, but with the obvious version change it would be too confusing. Why should I mix them when they are so different? It’s just that a lot was released today from Otoy.
Any idea when the free version will be released?
Vectron is some kind of procedural primitive that doesn’t use any vram. Supposedly it can be controlled by displacement maps, OSL, OpenVDB’s, etc. The Linux version isn’t out yet so I haven’t had a chance to play with them.
Now that version 4 stable has been released it should be soon according to the devs. Abstrax said this about the free version being out, “Not yet, but it will be provided soon as far as I know.”
Here is an update on the free version. Unity is out now and for free, Blender is next, but not out until 1st quarter of 2019.
Changes since OctaneRender 2018.1 XB1:
- Fixed displacement UVs and rendering with incorrect pixel size.
- Added the volumetric spotlight to the context menu of Octane.
- Fixed a render failure when trying to render using extra UVs.
- Changed planetary environment to use latitude and longitude instead of axis and rotation.
- Fixed metallic material not matching v3 exactly.
- Fixed progress bar for image compression showing stale info at beginning of new compression and sometimes flickering.
- Redesign of memory statistics in the render view.
- Fixed vertex attributes not working correctly when Octane renders polygons (as opposed to triangles).
- Added color and greyscale vertex attributes nodes, to make it easier to use vertex attributes.
- Fixed incorrect rendering when there are both greyscale and color attributes on the same mesh.
- Fixed any kind of picking not working on meshes when there is a volume SDF or vectron node in the scene.
- Fixed potential net render filter issue.
- Fixed excluding environment light that didn’t work when there was a portal in the scene.
- Added an option to swap the order of gamma correction and image color inversion.
- Fixed some displacement artefacts in some scenes with instances with very small ray epsilon values.
- Fixed a significant out of core memory performance regression compared to version 4 RC7.
- Fixed PMC kernel not rendering volumes when using SDF.
- Fixed a render failure issue with PCIe expander hardware.
- Fixed wireframe when using the baking camera.
- Fixed denoiser not starting sometimes.
- Upgrade OSL to v1.9.13.
- Added the render job output linkers to the context menu.
- Fixed a bug where the denoiser output and main pass colors are not the same on shadow catcher materials.
- Fixed a random render failure when rendering a scene with animated meshes.
- Fixed a crash caused by invalid hairs and spheres.
- Fixed all shaders getting recompiled when one of the textures used is updated.
- Fixed wireframe edge transparency when using an alpha channel.
- Fixed crash when using
getattribute("camera:fov", fov) in an OSL shader.
- Improve cryptomatte accuracy when there are many different IDs with high coverage in the same pixel.
- Fixed two crash bugs when using multiple vertex attributes.
- Fixed lack of scene update sometimes when switching baking group ID.
- Fixed the denoiser not starting properly when it is called for the first time on RTX cards.
- Fixed internal OSL compilation error when using an OSL shader with a very long parameter list.
- Fixed transform value changes sometimes at shutter end and shutter open times getting ignored.
- Fixed non-alphanumeric characters in local machine user names causing cuDNN library validation errors.
- Fixed very slow geometry processing of some frames, of specific scenes with many instances.
- Fixed vectron network rendering.
Would love to work with this as soon as possible when you’ll release the free version! I had used the Unity version in the past and it was great!
until they release free version - they even can change minds
Will future versions of Octane be supported in the free tier?
For 2018.1 and later, we may need to rethink the 2 GPU limit as a differentiation from the paid tiers . it is meaningless when two GPUs give you 800-1000 OB and 22 GB to 50 GB of combined VRAM:
OctaneRender 2018.1 RC1 released
Changes since OctaneRender 2018.1 XB2:
- Overhauled the way you return data in vectron nodes - see above.
- Added support for importing / exporting vertex attributes in Alembic files.
- Improved partial updates of mesh data loaded from Alembic files, by loading only data that is necessary.
- Improved detection of moving vertices at start and end of animation sequences.
- Always show bar meter to indicate peer to peer mapping is in being enabled.
- Worked around an issue with FBX files exported by Maya, which have their SSS sharpness values scales down by a factor of 10 (see viewtopic.php?p=354044#p354044).
- Fixed incorrect render restart if the noise pass gets enabled / disabled when adaptive sampling or the denoiser is enabled.
- Fixed loading of the opacity channel of FBX materials .
- Fixed loading of normals and UV coordinated (see viewtopic.php?p=353284#p353284).
- Fixed crash in scene graph update when an empty group node is being used, fixing the Xparticles scene provided in viewtopic.php?f=86&t=70006.
- Fixed bug that caused geometry to disappear or to render only partially on some frames of animations.
- Fixed rendering of the third UV coordinate set.
- OSL: Improved error handling in certain situations.
what ist the difference between v4.0… and 2018… ?
i dont find the LiveDB menu in the version 2018.1 - 17.3
- Fixed vertex attributes
- Temporarily disabled caching of baking texture node for input texture types that are not image textures, since it wasn’t working as intended yet.
- Fixed Automatic pixel format setting which would still load 32bit float EXR images and HDR images as 16-bit float.
- Image tile grid was upside down when selecting image tiles with pattern.
Fewer fixes this time, might be getting close to a full release?
Changes since OctaneRender 2018.1 RC4:
- Fixed “affects alpha” option of specular materials when “keep environment” is enabled (fixed the refraction pass being included in the environment in this case).
- Fixed caustic blur for clearcoat.
- Added sheen and coating bump and normal texture inputs.
- Renamed artistic IOR mode from “Default” to “Artistic”.
- Implemented sheen and coating bump/normal mapping.
- Fixed visible on specular for universal material.
- Fixed specular material rendering incorrectly when given 0 roughness and Octane BRDF.
- Fixed node to nodegraph comparison in Lua API raising an error.
- Fixed vertex attributes causing a render failure when used with SSS.
- Fixed float vertex attributes causing render failure with displacement.
- Fixed planes sometimes getting rendered black if there are more than one.
- Fixed crash when opening import preferences for unsupported VDBs.
I’m waiting for either Cycles or Octane to get an 8x speedup by using Tensor cores in the Nvidia RTX cards. Until then I’m going to use Cycles. If Cycles gets it first I’m going to continue to use Cycles.
its only 3x speedups visibly (look at otoy twitter account) , all this 8x speedups are bs i think
Any news about the free versions?