OctaneRender™ Blender 3.1.2 plugin version 2021.1.5 - 26.3 [STABLE] released

Anyone noticing Octane using a lot more VRAM than Cycles? Spending the better of 2 months trying to get it to work but it’s consistently failing renders due to out of memory CUDA errors for scenes half the size that I would render in Cycles on a 3090.

Even 64gb of RAM doesn’t seem to do anything for Out of Core rendering either.

why no using the standalone? In my experience it has mostly to do that Blender reserves a lot VRam and then Octane is added on top. If I use C4D and Octane the usage is much lower.

Can’t say about the VRAM usage, but concerning the Out of Core feature, I believe it only works with “Use RTX acceleration” turned off.

Another thing that helped me in the past with VRAM errors was decreasing the number of Parallel samples. The default is 32, if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

I think you might be right about OOC and RTX off, thanks.

I tried reducing parallel samples, and although it seems to have helped a bit I can’t say that this is the root of the problem. I believe Octane is having difficulty with hair and child particles in Blender. Anytime I have a hair system in the scene, which is almost every scene, Octane is seriously struggling compared to Cycles. Build times for the render take longer than it would for Cycles to build and finish rendering.

Where I could render 7+ characters at the same time in Cycles, Octane will max out at 3 as long as child particles are enabled.

I’ve spoken with support and looks like they’ve potentially identified some fixes specifically to hair and possibly particles. I’ll keep my fingers crossed as Octanes current state is unviable for my use case.

1 Like

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, and Linux versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

OctaneRender Studio subscribers can access their software from the “Downloads” section of their Customer Account Page.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Updated to 2021.1.5
  • Supported to render the curve as the Octane Hair

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Various Minor Bug Fixes
1 Like

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, OSX (Metal), and Linux versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

OctaneRender Studio subscribers can access their software from the “Downloads” section of their Customer Account Page.

This is a TEST version, so be prepared to have some issues. Do not use it for production.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Upgraded to the 2022.1.XB1
  • Supported photon trace kernel
  • Added the “Allow Caustics” to the materials and layers
  • Replaced the old border mode with the new border mode UV in the image nodes
  • Added ACESToneMapping in the imager
  • Removed PremultipliedAlpha from the imager
  • Added PremultipliedAlpha in the export output setting
  • Added shader nodes: StandardSurfaceMaterial, StandardVolumeMedium
  • Added quite a few new nodes

KNOWN ISSUES

• Minor Bug fixes
2 Likes

Thanks for the updates.

Is this still the right link for the latest free tier version, or should we use download links in one of the above-mentioned forum pages?

Where the F* is that thing now? I hope that i’m just overlooking it but I can’t find that setting now anywhere

Hi Metin,

Yes, the download links on the forum pages are for Enterprise and Studio users.

Jason

1 Like

In the properties panel, under “Output Properties”, then in the “Output” block there is another block called “Octane Output”. In that block the setting for “Premultiplied Alpha” only appears if you choose a “File Type” of EXR. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks. So now it can only be used with octane output?

Excited to give 2022 a try.

If you click Show Octane Viewport, the octane viewport never shows up and Octane Server crashes every time.

OctaneServer Prime (2021.1.4) 26.3 stable:
DOWNLOAD

Blender Octane Edition (2021.1.4) 26.3 stable:
DOWNLOAD

3 Likes

caustic test with the 2022 octane version. like it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi all

We’re happy to bring you XB2 of 2022.1. As before we had a lot of feedback from various channels and there are many fixes and improvements in this build. Unfortunately Brigade is not quite ready, but we are hoping it will be in time for XB3.

Please note the MacOS builds below will only work correctly on MacOS 12.3.1 and newer, and only on Apple GPUs.

As with all experimental builds, we advise to not use this release for production purposes. We are trying to, but we can’t guarantee that scenes saved with this version will be compatible in future releases.

Changes since 2022.1 XB 1

• Added integration with RNDR cloud rendering service in favor of discontinued ORC support.
  • Various improvements to nested dielectrics.
  • Added two functions that were missing in the Lua nodegraph module (nodegraph.collapse() and nodegraph.copyAttributeFromIx())
  • Improve the handling of surfaces with multiple materials and nested dielectrics enabled.
  • Improved user experience when there are OCIO errors.
  • Moved look-at transform to transform category and renamed it to “Look-at transform”
  • Fix hang when photon tracing is used in scenes without mesh geometry.
  • Fixed blending/compositing happening for output AOVs that were not composite layers.
  • Update the Blend color space tooltip to clarify that it affects both blending and compositing.
  • Fix blank viewport after undocking/docking render viewport in real time mode.
  • Bump JUCE external revision to fix tooltips not showing on components where the tooltip text rapidly changes.
  • Fixed hair primitives on macOS.
  • Prevent incorrect value of free device memory being shown in the UI sometimes when enabling/disabling denoiser.
  • We no longer create SDF nodes by default in Vectron operators.
  • Fixed hang when photon tracing is used in scenes without mesh geometry.
  • Disabled environment sampling if we are recording a shadow AOV and have portals and no importance sampled environment.
  • Fixed “Auto alpha image” behavior when loading OBJ files.
  • Make blending composite output AOV layers in perceptual space match Photoshop when the layers aren’t fully opaque.
  • Make the color burn and color dodge compositor blend modes match Photoshop in the last remaining special case.
  • Use slightly overlapping tiles for photon tracing, with soft edges.
  • Fix artefacts in the color dodge and color burn composite output AOV blend modes.
  • Added blend color space to composite AOV layer node.
  • Fixed issue causing wrong results when using the baking camera with geometry with texture displacement.
  • Implement OSL transformu() function for units of length.
  • Fixed baking camera on macOS.
  • Fixed issue causing artefacts showing outside the UV geometry boundary when using the baking camera in info passes.
  • Fix position of search boxes on multiple monitors.
  • Fix artefacts when using position in a mix material mixing parameter input.
  • Search box for node type dropdown works on macOS.
  • Fixed material maps when using multiple instances of one SDF node with different materials.
  • Fixed noise and incorrect background of positional AOVs if RTX is disabled and the scene bounding box has size 0 along one of its axes.
  • Fixed GPU failure when switching from photon tracing to PMC.
  • Fixed SDF displacement using the wrong transform.
  • Fixed minor sampling error.
  • Integrate the ‘Image adjustment’ node
  • Integrate the ‘Color key’ node
  • Fixed AI Light on macOS.
  • Fixed medium emission using uninitialized values.
  • Fixed gizmos for all nontrivial geometry nodes.
  • Fixed undo not working properly after zooming viewport with orthographic thin lens camera.
  • Fix macOS material preview artefacts.
  • Fixed possible hand when using RTX.
  • Bounds input of the Vectron node no longer allows negative values.
  • Fixed issue on Windows causing ORBX file corruption when updating files on remote drives that have been temporarily disconnected.
  • Switch to use soft borders for Standard volume mediums.
  • Fixed a crash when deleting an output AOV group node sometimes.
  • Fixed curvature node not outputting the right values on macOS.
  • Fixed MacOS “legacy volume” render regression.
  • Fixed texture projections on SDF objects (volume + osl sdf).
  • World space coordinates work more consistently on texture inputs on SDF shaders.
  • Added option to the volume Z depth AOVs that allows you define which depth is considered white/1.
  • Fixed render error when using the baking camera with a baking group ID with empty UV data.
  • Add the ability to pick mattes in the render viewport for a cryptomatte mask output AOV.
  • Fixed a crash which happens when triggering geometry export with invalid path(like a ORBX package) or relative paths. Relative paths are now anchored from project directory if a project exist or from current working directory.
  • Fixed the ‘Volume cloud’ texture on macOS.
  • Added ‘Fractal 2’ to the ‘Procedural effects’ texture.
  • Added ‘Noise smoke flow’ to the ‘Procedural effects’ texture.
  • Added volumetric effects to the ‘Procedural effects’ texture node.
  • Integrated more textures from LiveDB.
  • Fixed random net render hang when no local GPUs are used for rendering.
  • Fixed crash when pressing most keys in most popup menus.
  • Added a new output AOV type: cryptomatte mask.
  • Fixed Linux render node distributable which was missing the daemon executable.
  • Fixed object layer masks of volumes which were messing up custom AOVs.
  • Fixes invalid materials in non-RTX CUDA when moving the camera in scenes with nested dielectrics enabled.
  • Fixed issue causing to re-login when switching versions of Octane on some Linux distros.
  • Fixed a bug where auto bump map doesn’t work as expected when box projection is used.
  • Fixed a bug in vertex displacement. By mistake y and z axes were swapped for object space vector maps. Also autobumpmap was not working as expected on object space vertex displacement.
  • Update FreeImage to 3.18.0.
  • Add BRDF sampling slices for diffuse BRDFs, remove invalid Specular/Ward combination.
6 Likes

I am a little disappointed Brigade is not quite ready :frowning:

Yeah me too, but at least we have an ETA, maybe a couple of weeks?

1 Like

XB3 is coming in a couple of weeks? that I didn’t know! I thought it won’t arrive for months… :rofl:

1 Like

For me the biggest disappointment is that Blenders current particle hair system and Octane just doesn’t seem to play nice together. Doing final lighting adjustments with 100% child hair visible in viewport creates up to 5 second delays before anything on screen is updated.

Without particle hair everything is incredibly fast and snappy.

Jules just commented on Brigades inclusion into Octane. It’s interesting in that I had the same impression as you, thinking that there were bits and pieces of Brigade included into Octane, but that the full inclusion hadn’t happened yet. I think that he was mostly talking about the experimental builds, and I don’t know how this affects the Blender plugin?

I am responsible for communicating our public roadmap, making the GTC videos, all of it, so if I can be doing this better, I’m always open to feedback.

Id do want to make sure you we are talking about the same things.

The Photon Tracer for example - is actually already working great in plugins like C4D. We have users like WREN from Corridor even making tuts for it, and we added volume caustics - which was not in any roadmap we shared before; in that case I feel we surpassed what we promised even months earlier.

Brigade, as it ran in the video you posted (and note it had noise, even if it was fast) actually shipped in Octane 4 - we made tons of examples showing what that did: the 10-100x speed up in the scene graph for example, and this was before RTX made this even faster by 3-5x. the only thing holding back 60 fps today are 1) DCCs themselves that can’t keep up with the scene graph and 2) the Octane CPU filmbuffer system (which is now back on GPU in 2022.1 XB2).

Brigade kernel is something new and distinct from the earlier work, and didn’t exist until 2020, and it is shipping in 2022.1 RC1, with all Octane features intact + temporal denoiser and real time options for DOF, fog, godrays and more. It doesn’t deviate from the core Octane spectral rendering pipeline, it builds on it, which is a big difference from many approaches to real time renderers (including early brigade kernel tests) which are split off or developed apart from the main production renderer, to cut features to get speed. That being said there is a place for those too, and adding RGB (non-spectral) Brigade kernel with some further optimizations, will be explored in the future. Also Brigade shipping in Octane as kernel (not a a whole new renderer) means we won’t need to change rendering state just access it - it will work in all DCC’s and in Unreal and Unity projects as well as in standalone of course.

Anime edge kernel is in a pretty good state as a render delegate (which we can then sideload in Octane core), but like polarization and some other roadmap features, I have put them further out because users have strongly voted on us shipping more urgent features ahead of this (including PPM caustics). You can do amazing things with the current toons shader, and the edges rendering is going to make that better. Right now, we have our work cut out for us on real time, meshlets and a long list of user requests that is the lifeblood of us supporting a very broad userbase.

Also, from an ecosystem perspective, we have added a ton of value around Octane for the $20 month that hasn’t changed price in four years: Embergen, Sculptron, Architron (formerly LW CAD), Kitbash 3D, GSG+ (for annual sale on BF) and soon World Creator 3. Also we have Mac, Blender and Unreal still free and we have supported that for years to grow the ecosystem.

3 Likes