OctaneRender™ Blender 3.4 plugin version 2021.1.7 - 26.6 [STABLE] released

Not sure, maybe it’s a typo?

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, and Linux versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Studio+/Enterprise License Holders

This is a TEST version, so be prepared to have some issues. Do not use it for production.

NEW FEATURES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Enhanced the Cycles’ Material Converter

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Fixed the rendering issue when using Compositing and Layered Material nodes
  • Fixed the corrupted ramp nodes when they are “appended” from other blend files(need to save the source blend file in the 27.6 again before appending)
  • Fixed a false warning when exporting the scene as ORBX

You can read about new features of OctaneRender™ 2022.1 here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=80814

2 Likes

How does All this work with Mac OS?

Hi all,

We weren’t planning to make another 2021.1 release build since several users have been asking how to deal with the introduction of the Studio+ license if they would like to finish some project in version 2021.1 but with the features of the Enterprise / Studio+ license, we figured we should make a 2021.1.7 release that allows you to do that. This build also contains a couple of bug fixes, but those were not the reason for the release.

You can find an overview of all new features and improvements of version 2021.1 here.

This version supports all current NVIDIA GPUs with compute model 3.5 or higher. Please make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows or 455.23 on Linux.

Changes since OctaneRender 2021.1.6:

• Fixed a render failure that can happen when you quickly switch between different render targets with a baking camera.
  • Fixed render failure when adding a normal texture to an environment texture.
  • Fixed uncaught exceptions from OpenVDB, which fixes hang when importing certain VDB files.
  • Fixed very slow ray-tracing through some levelset VDBs that are loaded as volume SDF and might result in a kernel timeout.
  • Fixed network rendering of volume SDFs.
  • Fixed corrupt images when multiple GPUs are compositing different output AOVs at the same time.

Downloads

Downloads for Studio+ subscription users:

OctaneRender Studio+ Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio+ Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio+ Standalone for Linux

OctaneRender Studio+ Node for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio+ Node for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio+ Node for Linux

Demo downloads:

OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Linux

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY team

Otoy has been updating the MacOS versions more frequently lately. I just checked real quick (and I don’t use OSX) and it looks like version 2022.1 is available for the Mac. Not sure about the Blender plugin version.

Edit: Just looked at the Blender plugin and it supports Octane X PR13 on MacOS.

1 Like

This is a TEST version, so be prepared to have some issues. Do not use it for production.

• Upgraded to Blender 3.4

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Fixed issues when using the new ramp nodes in world and light
  • Enhanced and fixed issues with the Cycles material converter
  • Refactored the blender’s internal node-add to support the legacy octane nodes(but we still recommend using the new add-on nodes)

2 Likes

Any idea how far away we are from the addon version?

1 Like

No one really knows. They do work on it for sure but Otoy never gave the release date.

My gut feeling tells me it will definitely release by the end of next year if nothing drastic happens with the development process like if Otoy looses the developer working on it.

I am so confused by the way OTOY handles all of the releases. I work on MacOS so I’m specifically looking for Metal compatible Octane. My understanding is that Octane in Blender is built as a specific version of Blender so, whichever version they make available is the one that you get…and if you need some new, say GeoNodes functionality that is only available in a more recent version of Blender…you’re kinda screwed.

I’m also confused about if paying subscribers have access to newer versions than those using Prime for free (once again…strictly talking about MacOS).

I’m basically ready to start subscribing…but I would like to know the following:

If I subscribe today, what version of MacOS Octane build for Blender will I have access to? Is it for Blender 3.4? 3.3? Older?

Will this version (i.e. for MacOS) that I have access as a subscriber be the latest public release of Octane? I assume that would be 2022.1?

It’s amazing to me how something so relatively simple and key to running a successful business such as making sure people understand what they’re buying, is so difficult when it comes to OTOY.

I don’t use MacOS releases, so my answers will be based on the general releases cycle expirience.

Yes, that is correct. Otoy provides a separate build for each version. Althought, since it creates development overhead they’ve been moving to the standard addon practices and, hopefully soon, we should get a simple addon version of Octane for Blender. But Otoy never announced any dates for the release of the addon, so we can’t be sure how soon this will happen.

If you’re a paid subscriber, then, not really. Otoy is pretty fast with releasing new builds after official release of new Blender versions. I don’t think it takes longer than two weeks to release a new build.

If you want to use Blender for free, then it’s a bit more complicated. You get what you get.

Again, not sure about MacOS version release cycle but with Windows you get the access to Final Octane versions which can be somewhat behind and usually stay on the same Blender release which was available at the date of the release.

But as a subscribed member you always have access to Octane beta builds which provides the latest final Blender build available. The Octane beta builds can somewhat dangerous to use but in general for short term projects they’re mostly safe. I have yet to see a totally broken beta build.

You can also have access to all previous releases, both beta and final releases of Octane for Blender.

Again, not using MacOS, but I assume yes. If have to be absolutely sure, I’d recommend contacting the support or asking in the Facebook group. Facebook group would be probably the fastest way to get your answer.

It’s a common complaint about Otoy. They sell pretty amazing rendering tech, but they fail somewhat in delivering a polished experience with it. Starting from a clear sales pitch to somewhat complicated user experience. But once you understand how Octane works, there’s a lot of good stuff to use in production. It’s one of the most powerful, but sadly not very artist friendly, render engines.

1 Like

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, and Linux versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Enterprise License Holders.

To maintain stability, this version only includes the new 2021.1.7, Blender 3.4, and some important fixes. This version does not include the addon-compatible nodes and features in the 2022 branch.

• Upgraded to Blender 3.4
  • Upgraded to 2021.1.7

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Minor Bug Fixes

You can read about new features of OctaneRender™ 2021.1.7 here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=80911

2 Likes

OctaneRender™ for Blender 2022.1 - 27.8 [TEST]

Unread postby azen » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:14 pm

OctaneRender™ for Blender plugin. Windows, and Linux versions. The download links, provided on this page, are for Studio+/Enterprise License Holders

• Updated to Blender 3.4.1
  • Added “Primitive Coordinate Mode” in the mesh property panel - transferring the primitive data as the Octane coordinate or the Blender coordinate(previous setting)

FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE

• Fixed the metaball rendering issue
  • Fixed the copy/paste ramp node issue
  • Fixed the UDIM rendering issue
  • Added “$VIEW_LAYER$” to the default Octane output file settings
  • Hide the unused “Octane Output” menu in the Shader Editor
  • Enhanced and fixed issues with the Cycles material converter

2 Likes

Hi!
Is there an estimate when the prime version will be updated? Unfortunately the “bake texture” node is missing from the latest version which is avilable for download at otoy’s site. (2022.1_27.5_beta)
Thanks!

Unfortunately I don’t have an estimate, it varies. The current version was updated on Nov 30. You could ask support when the next update is to happen? Maybe it will spur some action?

Jason

Is there have any FREE version which allows you use with latest version of Blender?

P.s.: As my mind dont interrupt me it has forBlender 3.1 I guess.

Latest free version is 2022.1 from 2022-11-30 and comes with Blender 3.3.1

1 Like

OctaneServer Prime 2022.1 - 27.5beta

Blender 3.3.1 (OctaneEdition 2022.1 - 27.5beta)

sometimes I am confused too. Rant: I don’t like how they have tendency to change things that worked and suddenly with new release you have to find out which button you have to push to get the same color result as before. This is annoying especially when doing renders for print purpose where colors have to be consistent and now your pipeline is broken because of new Octane update… or you can spend time browsing around the forums to find the fix

2 Likes

does anybody know when materials preview will be implemented? :frowning: