OctaneRender™ Blender 4.0 plugin version 2023.1.2 - 28.14 [STABLE] released

Now that Otoy has been offering Octane for free with few limitations in the last several months, how has it affected their revenue?

Do they have other revenue streams or is there still enough of an incentive to purchase a paid license?

Are you “Back from the future”? :smiley:

They plan to have their own crypto currency RNDR token & all the add-boys and alike will become their asset… just like FB
it never was about the SW/HW or which tools are used, but who do you belong to, owning souls… it’s “religious war” for quite sometime already

“Can you really be FREE?”

:wink:

They plan to have their own chrypto currency RNDR token & all the add-boys and alike will become their asset … just like FB
it never was about the SW/HW or which tools are used, but who do you belong to, owning souls… it’s “religious war” for quite sometime already

“Can you really be FREE?”

Another update on the free version of the Blender plugin, looks like it will only support 1 GPU, but you can’t beat free. :slight_smile:

08%20AM

6 Likes

@Grimm - Got a question for you. Can this be used to bake light maps?

Good question, I haven’t done this before, but It looks like light maps are fully supported in the Unity plugin. What I’m not sure about is if this is included in Octane stand alone or the Blender plugin. The Unity plugin is free as well.

1 Like

I recall them saying the free tier would support 2 GPU awhile back. Seems like they change their mind now. Guess I’ll stick to E-Cycles and their’s Redshift coming soon for Blender.

Yeah, it’s disappointing for sure, not sure what metric they used to determine that 2 GPUs were too much. As far as I can tell it’s because the use of the RT cores pushes the GPU performance too far, even for a single GPU. But it’s not like that will change, just look at the “super” cards Nvidia is putting out now. :confused:

Not only that

They should just limit the render speed for free tier.

and how the heck they show how fast Octane is then?

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense, if you have the money for two Quadro RTX 6000s, you can surely afford the purchase of Octane. Although it’s too bad for everyone who just does this as a hobby.

To be honest, if you have 2 GPUs, chances that you are doing this for a hobby starting to slim down.

2 Likes

If it said “Free tier uses only 1000 samples a second, which is 33% of actual speed your system can do.”

The % vary depending of your system. I wouldn’t mind for testing the renderer out and I would know how fast it can render if I had the paid version.

Sorry, but where does this information come from?

I think the only limitation will be the number of the usable GPU’s.

1 Like

There will be a limitation in terms of using NVLink by adding a more expensive monthly subscription beside the 20$ All Access one. This goes for 2019.x versions. For the Octane 4 it is still at 2 GPU. As for the free tier it seems it is locked only on one GPU for blender 2.8 and 2019.x versions of Octane. They say that Octane 4 for 2.8 will be in development but it is not revealed whether you can use 2 GPU’s. That’s all the info i have gathered from Jules, Tom and Lino on Octane forums.

I can render on AWS Cloud with 16 additional GPU’s for around 15USD/h with Cycles
and use all our company GPU s and CPU s for free.
Everything with close to linear scale by delegating bake jobs or render frames to the available compute devices and cpu s per node or pc.

Why i should use Octane with this limitations?

1 Like

That also means you are limited in the size of the scene you can render (as the 2080 Ti still only has 11 gigs of memory I believe).

The limits are a smart move on their part if their most significant revenue stream remains the Octane software licensing and subscription, Octane for free always sounded like those too good to be true things at first glance.

Octane supports out of core rendering for both geometry and textures so you can still render large scenes.