Odd balls

So I was following a tutorial to rig my character and when I got to the eyes, they tend to pop out as I rotated them on the Z Axis. I was wondering what can I do to fix this. Here Are some pictures available below for inspection because I don’t know what to do with out messing him up. I could upload the file but it’s too large to upload. The last picture is what he looks like in a normal setting.

Attachments

They need to be perfect spheres.

They are UV spheres. Is that what you mean?

Yes, then I have no idea maybe they arent lined up right.

Great… I really hope I don’t have to start all over for this. I wonder is it possible to create a mesh from the shape of the eyes alone?

instead of rotating the whole eyeball, rotate the iris around a point behind it. See if that works.

Is each sphere being rotated on its own center or are the being rotated on shared axis. If the later then that is what is skewing their position.

The center of rotation (pivot/axis) for the eyes is too far forward.

Ok, I’ve also took this question to another forum and someone told me to center the pivot point on the eye and realign it. So… how do I center the pivot point of a mesh?

Just select a ring of vertices in the sphere and use Shift-S Cursor to selection.
Then hit the button center cursor in mesh tools.

OK. I’m back. Fixed the eye rotation problem, but now I’m stuck with another problem.
Take a look at the pictures below. The eyelids do not deform properly. This the final problem for the face that I need a remedy for and I’m once again stuck.

Attachments

Looks like you are deforming the eyelid with a bone. This will only work if your eye has a top and bottom edge that are straight along the face of the sphere. That is to say that if the sphere of the eye had it’s poles at the left and right corner of the eye, the eyelid(s) will follow the lines of the UV sphere from one point to the other.

To do a good eyelid deform you have three options:

1. do the whole thing with a shapekey or set of driven shapekeys.
  2. Use a rotating bone, then add a driven shapekey to it to correct the deformation.
  3. Use more than one bone, with transform drivers that move the secondary bones to correct for the error.

The commonest method is (2). Create a shapekey with they eyes open. This is the default or ‘base’ shape. Then close the eyes, create a second shapekey, switch to edit mode and move the points around to get they eylid shut correctly. Now you need to control that shapekey from the rotation of the eylid bone. I won’t tell you here, as it is a long process that has been documented well enough elsewhere. Just search for blender driven shapekeys and you should find the information you need.

HTH.

Matt

Very interesting, but stupid! Nah, I’m just kidding, I’ll try it out. One more thing. Should I search for it here or under a search engine.

Well, I managed to get it fixed somehow. I had to move the vertices around in order for it to completely close itself around the eye.