Odd creasing in hard surface model

Hello everyone!

I have been working on a sportscar model recently, however I seem to have run into an issue that I can’t seem to figure out.

Basically, I have the car in separate parts; front bumper, frame, et cetera. Where these parts intersect, I have mean crease so that they meet flush when subdivision surface is added. However, with an edge split, this puts an ugly crease where it probably shouldn’t belong. Is there any way that I can retain the geometry without the crease? Or am I taking this on in the wrong way?

Photos for reference:

Thank you!

.blend file: Sportscar.blend (1.1 MB)

Edit: While I’m on the subject, is there any way to keep my topology consistent between objects (id est, moving a vert on the bumper moves a corresponding vert (at the same spot) on the frame, keeping the objects flush)?

You should probably model the body of the car out all in one shell so that all the topology matches up. Try to keep an edge going in proper locations where body splits are so then once finished, you can then duplicate it and rip the verts at the separated body panels like for example lights and doors and bumpers. Then at that stage you can apply the shrinkwrap modifier.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply!

i’m a beginner too so my answer might not help at all. the way i’d approach this would be not using crease but instead following the flows of edges along the tires, and adding loop cuts where you need sharp edges. it’s a good thing you separated them in parts.

Here’s how i would do it (sorry i’m a total noob too & only did the front part as i’m rushing so the back is messy) :slight_smile:Sportscar–redo.blend (1.1 MB)