I want to start by saying I am no artist, so I apologize for my silly mistakes. I created a model inside of MagicaVoxel and then exported it to blender. By default every face is seperated, so to save on draw calls I combined the vertices by removing doubles. It wasn’t until I got it inside of the engine that I noticed very odd behavior, and tracked it back to the normals. I have some pictures of the normals before and after below.
-LINES SHOWN ARE VERTEX NORMALS-
Before merging. Looks good in engine
After merging. Looks very dark on the edges.
Things I have tried. (Will update with solutions provided)
- Recalculating normals
Thank you for your time,