Official Blender Game Engine Competition Info

Hi there folks,

The Blender Game Engine competition has now started!

A Wiki has been started for the Blender GE Competition, with additional information.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Game_Engine/Competitions/2008_Q4

While some details of the competition might change over the next few weeks ( eg added prizes etc ), I’m starting it now to get people working on ideas coming up to the end of year holidays.

As I’m personally putting in the Euro500, this is the guaranteed minimum prize fund - it can only get bigger as more individuals / companies offer additional prizes. I’ve left scope for larger sponsorers to also add in an extra category that might fall within their area of interest.

Enjoy!
Mal

It’s ON! Lets get this competition started! This will be the best one so far, I cant wait to see the enteries. = )

Do we have to register anywhere or will this be somewhat of a free-for-all?

Cyborg_ar, if you’re reading this, we gotta talk tonight after work. I’ll be online around 6:00 central US time.

> will this be somewhat of a free-for-all?

It’ll be a free-for all - that’s usually the best way :slight_smile:
Mal

thanks mCD for sponsoring this competition =)

I think there is a typo under category one “best use of best use of graphics”

I’d like to add that i want to help support the game engine and that is why I beleive in this competition it isn’t about the judging or the prizes - although other peoples’ desire to win may insert an additional layer of camaraderie - I look foward to striving foward with you folks

this needs to be stickied I beleive as well as front page of blender.org

Mabye I need to actually do something with blender… someone give me motivation pills please :slight_smile:

interesting …

gotta get motivated for this… I like the rules… very cool

excellent news malcando…
now i working in some ideas in paper.
I think I can finish something before the March 16
good luck for everyone…

I’m just now starting a project (technically, haven’t even started working in Blender yet). It will be tough for me to finish it by the deadline. i’d better get started. :slight_smile: Good luck, everyone. And thanks, malCanDo!

I have a question on whether or not fan based games can be submitted,
I’m asking because I have a couple of ideas, one would have the pink panther that I modeled as the main character

Thanks
Phil

i guess they will not be so anal with that, as long as you dont use ripped stuff it should be okay… but who knows.

Well I guess the “no python” one is to demonstrate how much power you can get with just logic bricks… but it still seems a little odd.

Can we win multiple prizes? If someone makes a game that uses no python, has the best graphics, and is the most fun, can they win all 3? Or do we have to enter into each category?

just make ur entry before worry about every little detail xD

It would be good to know early on if fangames will be allowed. This would save us a lot of frustration if it turns out that we cant make any fangames at all.

Any official word on this?

Edit: Please keep this in mind when making your decision: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Especially the following:

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

• the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  • the nature of the copyrighted work;
  • the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  • the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Can a single entry win both best graphics and best gameplay prizes? Otherwise there is really no incentive to create a full game that’s good all around.

Looking forward to this one! I don’t think I’m going to enter though, still detoxing from apricot, but I suppose there’s plenty of time to think about it. I’m curious to see what kind of prize Erwin might organize for this, that could be the icing on the cake.

a playstation maybe?

I have already decided what I will do for my entry. I started working on it yesterday.

spill da beans!

j/k =)

its called Graviton. i think i’ll start a thread in a few days when I have some decent work done.

Very exciting, I’m looking forward to the entries that March 2009 brings.

Placeholder :wink: