Offset for each brick on texture

Hello,
this might be an easy one, but i don’t see it …

I want to create a kind of a wood floor texture. For this i use a brick and a wave texture.
Generally, the color variation on the floor looks good to me so far but i dont want the wood grain going seamlessly over to the next panel, since this look very fake. So some kind of “offset” would be fine for each brick.

I am new to that stuff, so I dont see a simple solution. My best guess is that this must be changed on each color input of the brick texture, but when i change the color input, it will change for all bricks the texture in the same way, since the generation of the bricks happening inside the brick texture right?

Any ideas?

Best

I’m just wondering if you could break up the waves texture by somehow usign a brick texture copy with some form of grayscale to create an offset on the vector. Just basing it on how it might be done in substance Designer, but I’ll be honest, I’m not well versed enough in nodes to know if that could be a thing.

Erindale got some great tutorials about such stuff

1 Like

Okay, i think the mean statement of this video is: forget brick textures … :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

Posted the wrong one but similar topic…

1 Like

It is possible to do this with the brick texture I would not forget it altogether. You have to duplicate the brick texture and use the first to offset the vector of you pattern and the second to make the brick pattern with mortar etc.

Here is a simple example.

Basically the bias in the colour of the first brick texture gives you different values for each brick that you can use to offset the vector location of your wave texture.

You have to use the same values for scale brick width, brick height etc in both brick nodes, it is better to set the mortar size of the first one to zero.

You can complicate this in many ways, for example offsetting scale and rotation as well. You could also use the combine xyz node to offset separately each axis of your textures etc,etc.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking but hadn’t actually tried it. :slight_smile:

Here is a more complex version with some additional controls I find useful for floors based on the brick generator. I’m using a seamless wood texture as a lookup rather than a generator, but the idea is the same:

And yeah, you can go all sorts of crazy with it. I highly recommend Erindale’s youtube channel, as it explains the whole thinking process of “hwat do I want to achieve” to “how to get there”. This thinking process is essential if you want to learn your ways around making the nodes do what you want.

Yeah, thats the problem. I am self a programmer and usually use to think in an abstract way, but thinking in “nodes” and input and output values to achieve what you want visually in the end pushes me to the limit very often.
So, maybe its just experience and training. I mean … how long would you say will it take to do a node setup like you shown from scratch without looking up external ressources?
There must be much experience and patience and thats just one part of the whole story of 3D art … I take my hat off to everybody doing such crazy things^^

Let me try your solutions first, they look all good :slight_smile:

Best