Oicho, animated Dragon (Alexander Volkov's magic land series)

Hi Ace_Dragon,
thank you for the answer.
I was not sure about it the whole hole. Reworked it.

In the scene, the mid part is surrounded by water now.

Some holes do have very clean water which looks teal. Volume absorbtion shader does good job together with transparent shader.

For some reason, the glass-bsdf renders way too dark. Trying workarund – add glass-bsdf and transparent-bsdf to lighten it.

More color variations on Oicho’s skin. I dont like to change much texture and model from now.

1 Like

Bevore Oicho appears, Ellie & Friends meets a creature with 6 legs.
6-legged creature would not be rendered (its actors wearing a costume). But the hole where they meet is rendered.

Sculpt much relies on texture-nodes for brushes.

Still nibbling on Oicho’s textures.

Playing and doodling. Some poses.

He’s really starting to take shape with that pose, the rig looks decent from what little I can see of it.

From my experience, it might be a little trickier to rig in a way where the wings fold up nicely as seen with many creatures real and fictional.

Hi Ace_Dragon.

The rig is the bird rig from rigify, with some modifications. For head and wings, there are manual changes. Atm, foldings are done with simple bones between the fingers of the wings.

It works for still images. It is the first time I animate winged creature. I am not sure how to get nice foldings and animation control.

I try to understand how Sintel’s Scales work. If someone knows a good starting point on bat/dragon wings rigging, I would love to hear.

Happy creating.

Very basic test-rig for a wing.

Flap controls finger bones angles.
Scale of finger bones do control finger bending.
Scaling Flap closes the wing.

No Bones for folding included.

Test_1.blend (85.6 KB)

This is inspired by Rigify’s tongue rig. However, it keeps deformers in a chain to to preserve bendy bones.

There are some ways of stretching one bone to another one. StretchTo and IK (chain length 1). Switching from StretchTo to IK helps to preserve the deformers bone chain, and still get a stretchy rig.

Zunge_verstehen.blend (134.5 KB)

Playing with poses.

Oicho takes a nap in his cave.

He looks so cute when he sleeps.

Though it looks like the wing pose could be moved a little to ensure it doesn’t penetrate the ground.

He looks so cute when he sleeps.

Hehe … Oicho likes it gemütlich

It is difficult to get the wing close to the ground and prevent the wing from penetrating the ground. Lifting wing, and there is a big gap between wing and ground. I can’t articolate ground bumps with the current rig alone. But Shrinkwrap might help.

Nibbling on an animation with Oicho.

Not sure how to embed youtube video into this post.

Right-click the Youtube video, pick “copy video URL”. Paste the link into your post.

The video should embed automatically if you did it right.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Oicho roaring …

For some reasons youtube does not embed realiably.

Animation mainly torso, legs, feet and head.

Some updates … quick OpenGL renders.

Final Animation around 4000 frames. Dragon speaking and rough animation realized. Yesterday first try with actors. (Dialogue with actors and dragon.)

Still much WIP. There need to be many more sounds, especially environment sounds. (Water drobs, rumbling stones, crack )

First 1000 Frames …

(Edit … needed to re-render. )

Some blobbers are still there. But I am glad to get it that far.

Thank you to many renderers from SheepIt Renderfarm, and a friend who also helped to render the animation.

Oicho ported to Blender 2.80 Beta.
Applying cloth simulation on the wings. Eevee animation rendering, ogg theora.