Okay, help me now...

I am in serious need of help, and I need to have some questions answered.
I have gone through every trial and every error, and it still doesn’t work. When I set the logic tic rate, bad things happen, as indicated in this post:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33343&highlight=

okay, so I have uploaded my WIP game, in a desperate attempt to solve my problem by letting others see for themselves what is going on.

here is the file:
http://www.lemsoft3d.com/downloads/SnowFall.blend

Okay, now for the questions…
First of all, it seems as though the lighting in the Runtime of a blend is brighter, as if the energy of all lamps was increased.

Second, is there any way to “read” what the console of a runtime spits out?

Any help would be great, thanks. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh, and the controls:
W,S,A,D: Move
LMB: Place item
RMB: Pick up item
Tab: View Inventory

Second, is there any way to “read” what the console of a runtime spits out?

Are you talking about error messages? All you have to do is press the other button that says Blender on the task bar. Your blend is giving error messages, I saw that. You should be checking that as you program and catch errors right away. The second fairly easy way to check out what’s going on in python is by using the print statement in strategic locations to have it tell you the value of something or if it made it that far, or if it went into an if block. Sometimes I just put print “hi”
To see if it got that far.
Sometimes print object.getSomething()
or print variable
whatever.

If I get a chance I’ll try looking at the code, but really, your the best one to debug it since you wrote it (hopefully).

For now I’m still using 2.34 since the changes in 2.35 seem to have introduced several new bugs. Have you tried reprogramming it to test in an earlier version?

Hmm…I know how to read debug messages and all that stuff, print dir(), and so forth. What I want to know is how to get error messages in a RUNTIME, or would they be the same?

Yeah, about the debugging thing, All I’m trying to do is get the motion to work correctly.

Does it mess up on your machine too? I need to know this before I can go anywhere.

Anyway, thanks.

Well when you write a little python script, you can use that same script to write error from a runtime to a txt file. The only things is, you wil only see the last error. But when you change ‘w’ to ‘a’ (append), you’ll have every error written to the txt file. Really handy.

import sys
f = open(“log.txt”,“w”)
sys.stdout = f #print messages will be logged
sys.stderr = f #error messages will be logged

What I want to know is how to get error messages in a RUNTIME, or would they be the same?

Yeah, same. That’s why you see about 100 of the same error messages. It’s just looping through the script giving the error over and over. For the simplicity of these scripts, debugs are kind of unnecessary I think. In a true debug environment you step through the script and see exactly what it’s doing. Most of the time it’s a pain because you step through libraries and everything. It’s a lot simpler to use a print test and isolation in my book. There’s really nothing you can’t figure out that way, and usually a lot faster. Your not going to stop or fix a c++ bug no matter what. You can only do tests to isolate it and then report it. I thought you didn’t know because there’s a script bug getting reported. I always start by fixing those. The script is stopping right there and not going any further. In that case I think it was on line 7 of one of your scripts. What I do to find the other errors is think of what could be causing it. It’s usually less than 3 or 4 things. Then I figure out ways to test them alone without the other ones involved. It’s always worked for me.