Old Man Willow [screenshot at page 4 & wireframe at page

Suddenly Frodo himself felt sleep overwhelming him. His head swam. There now seemed hardly a sound in the air. The flies had stopped buzzing. Only a gentle noise on the edge of hearing, a soft fluttering as of a song half whispered, seemed to stir in the boughs above. He lifted his heavy eyes and saw leaning over him a huge willow-tree, old and hoary. Enourmous it looked, its sprawling branches going up like reaching arms with many long-fingered hands, its knotted and twisted trunk gaping in wide fissues that creaked faintly as the boughs moved. The leaves fluttering against the bright sky dazzled him, and he toppled over, lying where he fell upon the grass.

– J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

inspired by those words, here’s Old Man Willow. the twisted and evil tree from the old forrest at the borders of buckland, east of the shire.

http://www.artificial3d.com/images/oldmanwillow.jpg

:slight_smile:
.andy

amazing :o

Awesome work @ndy.

RobertT

Yep, certainly :smiley:

I think this is your best work yet. Need I elaborate ? :wink:

Show us your wireframe !

Dear lord save some artistic talent for the rest of us!

Roots going into the water aren’t perfect but hell, who cares. Two thumbs up from me.

Whoa, @ndy, that’s grounbreaking. Amazing work, can we see a wireframe? How long did it take?

-Antiggo

Great stuff, @ndy.

b01c

WOW, amazing work, as always…
Simply amazing. :o :smiley:

:o :o :o
Not much else to say. :smiley:

d_m :o

Have you ever considered doing a “making of” tutorial/documentary sort of thing? I’d love to watch you work. This is amazing. Good god. You do post on more professional forums, don’t you?

Great work, @ndy.

Right, that’s it! I have hardly touched blender in the last 9 months (first found blender 1 year ago, and only messed around with it for a couple of months). It’s time to open it back up and start learning it properly. Thanks for the inspiration - this is really excellent stuff. :smiley:

I love that whole section of the book. I always imagined it to be a dark place where old man willow lives though.

Beautiful work. How long does this sort of work take to model, texture and render @ndy?

well well well you have beaten me at my game i must say…

… man… htis is so hard… dude… i cant…

ughh…

nnnnnnnn…

no… c.c…r…c.c…c.c.c.c.r…r.c.c.c.]

NO CRITS…

Gr8 work man… keep it up. :wink:

lsystem?

psst… btw, AMAZING work!

:o amazing. Can you tell me how you did the grass/moss hanging off the tree and the patch of grass near the front of the image? Never seen it done that well in blender(or many other programs too) before.

Beautiful.

WOW! thats amazing! :o

Can we see the mesh?
My dad thinks that isnt blender.
He thinks its more Maya then blender.
Plus i just wanna see a kick @$$ mesh.

Woah… :o
Once again, you’ve completely blown me away

I would also love to see a making of thingy

Keep up the unfairly brilliant work

Just a question, do you go to places like Pixar and Weta and steal the best animators souls and put them towards your own modeling?