old warehouse

Hi, I’ve just discovered blender recently (about 3 months ago). While I’m interested in eventually learning how to create animations, at the moment I’m focussing more on modelling. Hence the warehouse. This model is based on a warehouse I chanced upon while out walking. I’d love to get some feed back on ways I could improve this. One thing that bothers me a bit is that the face count is over 700 000. Probably 99% of that is in the roofing as it’s all curved, I realise this isn’t optimal but the attempts at using a flat plane with bump mapping didn’t get the desired result and I don’t have any other ideas for how a realistic corrigated iron roof can be done.

Attachments

Bumpity, bump!

I am new to blender and finding it a fantastic challenge and really enjoyable to try and replicate real world obects in virtual space. I hope to one day make animations telling stories about life with mental illness - however, first I think I need to learn to model.

I would really appreciate any feedback - positive, negative, whatever. I want to know what you think - it is the way I can learn.

I tried to upload the .blend file (8mb) but it failed, even when I .zipped it.

Thank you - If you need more info, please ask, I will answer.

It looks good, pretty accurate.

A couple of details you left out, though. There’s that wooden thing on the left between the top and bottom rows of windows. And maybe you could do that stenciling on the bricks?

But overall, the form seems dead on and you’ve got some nice textures happening there.

Just so you know, for some reason, most people on this forum don’t comment on works in progress. Instead, they wait until you put it in Finished Works and then give you the critique you were expecting in Works in Progress. Don’t ask me why; that just seems to be the way it’s done around here.

Yeah, I have the same problem. I think it’s a bug in the forum software. I’ve read quite a few comments on it and strangely, it only seems to affect certain people, so when the admins go to look into it, lo and behold, it doesn’t act up for them and so nothing gets done. Can’t explain it; I just live with it.

If you have some particular features in there that aren’t so visible, maybe do a few close-up detail shots and post them.

This is pretty good for a new comer. The brick texture looks great, but the results of the roof dont warrant a face count of 700 g’s! I mean no offense. The rendering needs work as well, maybe some better lighting and some AO?

As for the roof modeling, look into arrays and mirror modifier. you can mirror one side of the roof over to the opposite side, and in the areas were the roof ridge and eve are parallel you can use the array modifier to project the roof, but when you get into the hip area of the roof you will need to have separate sheets of metal.

I would, and have in the past built a “3” foot wide sheet of metal that runs the length of the roof and then used the array to fill in the rest of the roof.

Give this a try!

Thanks for the feedback, it’s much appreciated :slight_smile:

A couple of details you left out, though. There’s that wooden thing on the left between the top and bottom rows of windows. And maybe you could do that stenciling on the bricks?

One of the reasons I posted this thread was because I wanted to get an idea of whether or not this model would be good enough to put on blendswap. I left out the “wooden thing” because I didn’t know what it was and might make the model a little less generic or usable for other people. The stenciling, on the other hand, was probably left out more for ease. I think I’ll give it a go.

I would, and have in the past built a “3” foot wide sheet of metal that runs the length of the roof and then used the array to fill in the rest of the roof.

This has got me thinking in a different way, definitely feel as though I can get that face count waaaay down!

Again, thanks.

Personally I would take the roof you have now and create a lower resolution roof without as much detail and then bake the normals. Then use the normal map to give the detail instead of actuall geomotry. If you are using Blender Internal render engine than make sure you turn on AO (Ambient Occlusion) and look into 3 point lighting and that should help immensly. For a new comer I have to say that these textures are damn decent. I mean it is obvious that the image was used to create the textures and that is fine as it works. I would consider tweaking the bricks some and dulling them down a bit. More dingy I guess. I woulndt worry to much about the render if you are going to make it available on blendswap. Most peeps don’t care what it looks like with it tweaked via render settings. It’s all about poly count, textures, and overall style. I would work the textures more than anything. Make them more random, not so uniform. Keep up the good work! And welcome to to BA.com!

The texture on the roof, on the sides of the roof, look a bit stretched.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It has given me a lot to work on and I’ve learnt heaps about the materials/textures side of things.

And maybe you could do that stenciling on the bricks?

The stenciling task was a good one – took a while to nut out, but I’m reasonably happy with the results.

It’s all about poly count, textures, and overall style. I would work the textures more than anything. Make them more random, not so uniform.

The poly count is down to 8k – having not done anything like this before, is this a low or high poly count for putting on blendswap? I’m happy with the textures, although the facia board could be better, might fix this up.

The rendering needs work as well, maybe some better lighting and some AO?

I’ve added some AI and a 3 point lighting system, probably fairly poorly executed but meets the need of making things visible.

Personally I would take the roof you have now and create a lower resolution roof without as much detail and then bake the normals.

Loonatik, thanks for the tip – mate, when I first read that, I didn’t even know what a normal was. I’ve done a bit of research since then, so now I know, I just have to figure out how to bake it. Don’t imagine it’s got anything to do with home cooking though :slight_smile:

Looking much better :slight_smile: The texture is popping.

Excellent work, ringbarkis! You’ve come a long way in a very short time.

Ok. For a building that is a high poly I think. But I guess it all really depends on what it will be used for by the buyer. If the building will be a standalone building then it would be low. I would leave it where it is poly wise.

As far as the fascia…change it from pure white. More yellow or brown in there. Little tip. Never ever touch the sides of a color wheel. There is not pure colors in the real world.

As far as the normals. Easier for you to find a tutorial than for me to add a lengthy response explaining how to bake a normal map. the short end is it can be found under the render tab and has to be done in blender internal render engine not cycles.

Now as far as the stencils you have now. To add some sweet weather effects automatically…insert the brick texture or your uv map with the brick texture, into photoshop and create a new layer above it. Create your text but you only want the selection of the text. Switch to bucket fill tool and on the tool bar at the top of the screen there should be a box that can be checked that says all layers, click that then bucket fill. that allows photoshop to use the contrast of all the layers to exclude areas to paint…nifty!