Older Poser 11 and Cycles questions

Hi,

Poser 11 has a degraded version of Cycles, meaning there is no Principled node so there are some things you can’t do fully.

So here is the scenario. I have a genital conformer for a figure. There is an area of that for the pubic region that needs to be set up with transparency to blend and give the illusion of pubic hair. I have the following node set up to make the skin look good but can’t figure out how to integrate in a transparency map to get it to blend properly.

I’m sure this can be done in Blender and since Poser uses Cycles and folks have told me that they have learned allot watching Blender tutorials BUT there just doesn’t seem to be anything out there this specific and quite frankly I’m not the most technical person on the block.

SO I thought I’d reach out to the Blender community and hope that perhaps there would be someone that knows the ins and outs of Poser 11 and can help me or tell me it’s not possible so I can either move forward or move on!

Thanks so much
Richard / RAMWolff

Funny thing everthing seems to be connected backward… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hmmm… but i’m not sur ei understand the problem:

So you do have some geometry faking the hairy area… and now you have some texture map with transparency… ?

Usually someone do mix any coloring shader with a transparent BSDF controlled by the alpha… like so (or the otherway around… i always mix this up…)

Hmm, OK. The issue is that I have the skin set up already for the main characters body, I copied that over to the genital conformer which has three surface areas (pubic, shaft and testes) and then changed out the maps that go with that conformer and while the testes don’t need anything special the shaft and pubic do need that transparency map set up but when I tried to simplify the set up for the mapping it just went sideways for me. So if you see my layout in the uploaded image you’ll see the added in transparency nodes and maps but don’t know if there is a way to make all that work with the current layout for the main skin.

IDK if that mix closure is just the mix shader (backwards… seems to be)… but you have to control the mixing (fac) by something… and i don’t see this in youe setup… the transparentBDSF does “nothing” (not connected)… but ther is also no additional map… (or is this TRANS ??)

so you do have any map which does have soem transparency/alpha ? Or do you watn to fake this by using somekind of over contrating the image to b.w. and use this as mask ??

I mean ther is no Principled BSDF need for this… How do you use any transparency on the head hair ?? Or any other tranparency… ??

Or i don’t get the real problem here… :person_shrugging:

Yes, the TRANS header has a transparency map.

So something like so…??:

Been a while since I used Poser, but the character files are still primarily Daz-type characters…so, for your texture to work you need to FIND the B/W mask that controls the area of transparency and use that as a factor, between a MIX of the Base Texture and the Transparency
… I have to guess at it but the Closure node looks like a Mix node in Blender so the Mask would plug into the Factor, the Transparency into the closure1 slot, and texture for the pubes in closure 2 ( maybe the other way around)…maybe take a read through these pages and it will help…( It’s for Hair )

Very cool. I created a number of products for HiveWire under the name RAMWorks. So I know this member. I’ll ask him if I have more questions!
Thanks so much! :star_struck:

1 Like