Omens I (concept project)

Great job, Alexander!

1 Like

Really nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks again everyone! Awesome bartv, really appreciate it!

Positively incredible! I noticed a caption on one of your other renders said you used the Octane rendering engine. Is there any particular reason that Cycles did give you what you wanted?

Wow that is a killer scene to start with, nice man!

From what app did you move to blender?

Awesome dark atmosphere and mood.

EradifyerAO- Thank you! No major reason, just wanted to use what i was comfortable with to get the project done quickly. I was doing lots of new territory stuff with sculpting/rigging/scene layout in Blender so wanted to have one thing I could breeze through! Plus knowing I’ll be switching to Eevee soon makes me just want to wait.

rombout- Thanks! My workflow was very scattered, I was using VR+Houdini+3D coat+a little bit of Modo. Crazy to think I just use Blender and VR now!

Mark- Thanks man!

HOLY MOLY!!! alksndr, you’re like the real deal! I am amazed!!! May I ask? Did you go to school for this? HOW did you learn all of this stuff?!

1 Like

It’s very mystical, Victorian-style work. I’m immediately remember Mary Shelley and other ‘Penny Dreadful’ :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, I’ve studied at Gnomon school, with John Park at Brainstorm school and taken a class with Jama Jurabaev! Frankly, these teachers are all so amazing, I should be much better than I am :slight_smile: Thanks again man

That’s great man… 100 million polys though… my computer would just laugh at me then explode.

1 Like

Really, the only thing that strikes me is that you need a soft-box-style front light to provide proper illumination (probably of a bluish color shade), even though they are “walking in the dark and in the rain.” Plausibly, the lighting would vary in intensity slightly from front-to-back as though the characters were walking past some lighting rig. (No, in real life they might not do that, but “they’d do it in the movies,” and the eye becomes conditioned for that.)

Also, you’d probably want to “subtly draw my eye,” once again with the light, to the faces of, say, the two men who are directly beside that horse. (The practical-lamp immediately behind them will help to balance this and to soften the effect.) Because, these are not mere objects walking past the camera, but ominous, threatening men.

Also, give me catch-lights in the horse’s eyes.

The rim-lighting of the horses and the general rainfall effect is very pleasing. It says to me, “a slow shutter-speed was used because of the dim light, and it’s causing the rainfall to streak.”

1 Like

For more information about this piece, check out the Behind the Scenes article on BlenderNation:

1 Like

That’s really nice man. Can we get a render with a bit more light from the front, I’m curious to see it better :slight_smile: I understand that’s not what you were going for in this render.

Edit, Never mind your artstation link is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it Bartv!!

Thank you very much for the detailed crit sundial, I’m gonna apply this lighting logic to my next project for sure!

awesome style. 100 million polys, my pc would burst into flames. :smile:

1 Like