Once upon a time (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

Once upon a time, there was a blender conference. And everyone who was not already there tried to catch the latest dragon-boat fairy to join the party. So the crowd gathered together at the top of the sintel-pyramid awaiting the boarding.

Furiously Quadbot appeared, full of rage because he has not been invited. Immediately panic spread among the waiting people and everyone hastily tried to flee.

Everyone? No one brave little dog called autumn resists and faced the deadly threat. Willing to protect his unworthy master.

progress so far - Eevee viewport screenshot

original sketch - gimp collage

As you may realized from the sketch this will be a collage of many different splash screens. I really have no idea how this will translate to sketchfab because of the lack of experience. We will see.

5 Likes

Most of the available time the last two days was spend on adapting some assets to fit the wanted greenish-yellowish-blueish look and to tweak them to perform better inside sketchfab as i am already experiencing some lags (And still so much more to add).

As a result i decimated and joined meshes, got rid of materials and lowered the quality of textures. Even needed to install 2.79 to convert old blender internal materials to the modern ones. So progress, as always, is slower as expected. Here is a pic of what i got so far:

Painted the texture of dragon twice(first time i forgot to save the image before leaving). Then i realized i painted on an uv-map which was made for a close-up shot of the dragon-wound. So everything except where the wound was is very dense packed, so real details are not possible. But i will keep it atm. Because so much more ideas than time.

As i am re-using pre-existing models from the Blender Studio and ian hubert so far.

2 Likes

Is this your Sketchfab account? If not, would you please post a link? I wanna follow you there.

yup, it is.

1 Like

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

Still here and participating …
Sorry that there was no update recently, but was stopped last weekend by a broken monitor and the late summer sun also needed some dedication.

After realizing there are only a few days left to finish, panic arised …
which perfectly leads to next topic:
THE PANIC PARADE:

After a lot of struggle with accustomizing to the blender studio rigs (of which some are insanely complex), i got a few characters in a somehow satisfying state (due to the lack of time perfectionism is already knocked over board). While JC for example was very easy to handle for me, the Autumn rig gave me a lot of headaches … in the end i sculpted it into the shape i wanted.

THE ONLY BRAVE ONE:

Eevee viewport screenshots

But posing was not the hardest so far … even more pitfalls had to be overcome getting the models to be realtime capable. For example many were divided into several different object each with tons of modifiers and shape keys which needed to be applied before objects could be merged and got rid of their armature. UV maps were overlapping, so i needed to re-arange them so in the end the material can be baked. As a consequence textures needed to be adapted and so on.

Also very challenging is to keep the size of the blendfile under the 100 MB mark for the sketchfab free tier version. So trying to eliminate each not absolutely necessary vertex, all their groups and what else can be found to reduce the overall size.

But do not wanna bother you anymore which things that went not smoothly. So here a pic of the scene so far:

What went smooth and fast was the creation of the background and the lightning so far. Want to make a breakdown about, but not sure if i do that before the deadline. Because you already know, time is short.

1 Like

Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge! Can’t wait to click through the bookmarks to every character’s panicked face :smiley:

1 Like

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Finally got it uploaded a few seconds before the deadline … but yeah feels incomplete for me beause i had so much more in my mind. click on the annotations in the right order to follow the script.

Hope i got all credits right…remind me after some sleep if you spot they are also incomplete…Wish everyone the best…Good night.