one last question on getting a type of look on textures.

i got this image off of google. it’s from Ai Qiang .

I am wondering in animation films. do they use procedural textures or image textures altered in photoshop or something? I’m sure they use both but, if they do use image textures I wonder how I could learn this type of texturing?

They use … “whatever works.” :yes:

The best way to deal with a scene like this is to first realize that it was shot on somebody’s kitchen table. One hundred percent of the lighting is “fake.” So, look to see where the light is coming from. (Also be on the lookout for Photoshop alterations … the shadow on the bottle behind the one with the cork probably wasn’t really cast on that bottle by that other bottle. I detect an airbrush-tool, artfully applied.)

The lighting would at minimum consist of a large softbox to the right/above of the camera, a “snooted” light on the lower left, and a tilted sharp “snoot” at a 45º angle to throw the god-beam. There’s probably more “dodging” that’s been done below and to the right of the globe, because the amount of light underneath that globe is considerably less than what’s shining on the shadow-side of the nearby box. The right-hand box is lit very differently from the one on the left. The lighting of the left side of the right-hand box, inexplicably, isn’t occluded by the little oil-can, nor is there any clear angle that would not be blocked by the box on the left. There’s no source of "warm, yellow light here … and yet, here it is.

Moving along to textures, the entire shot has a sepia-tone color profile. A noisy texture designed to look like dirt has been applied. A certain amount of “caustics” have been used to give the effect of glass.

Probably the easiest way to do this shot – and this shot would not be “easy” – would be to use compositing. Break down the shot into its individual visual components, light each one separately and in a dramatic way, and inject shadows as-required. Get good, clean exposures on each, composite them together, and individually adjust the hue and saturation of each element as well as of the shadows. When you add textures, grab the texture layers separately so that you have tonal control over them as well. Shoot in neutral light and add the tonality later. Plan the workflow so that you can do adjustments without re-rendering. (It will be one helluva big compositing “noodle.”)

Although this might sound “terrifically fake,” it actually corresponds to what real photographers do and did: as Ansel Adams put it, “a picture is captured in the camera, but it is made in the darkroom.”

I guess I should start studying photoshop then. lol, I’m not happy with just image textures on my models. so I am wondering should I study photoshop first to know what I can do or compositing? how do artist know what there textures will look like after a color grade and rgb curves? maybe I should study procedural textures? can’t seem to find any tutorials though. i think a lot of artist you procedural textures in animation films.

You should learn image editing, whether in photoshop, gimp, photoline, or anything else (blender;)) and study some tutorials on preparing images to be used as textures. You can also look up ways to get your normal maps from these image textures, especially if you are dealing with tiled textures. Learning to paint your own from new images is valuable as well, and using procedural textures as additional information and as stencils between image textures is very valuable as well. Andrew Price had a very cool tutorial using some image textures in Cycles to work up a lantern on a back porch scene, and it had a lot of good tips there that you can apply elsewhere.

Blender has many options for texturing - paint in an external app, paint internally, or use both with the external edit option. Compositing is a whole topic on its own really, taking what you learn in image editing and applying it to 3d space and lighting as sundialsvc4 mentions. There is a wide open field of learning there, and I have been on it for awhile and still I learn something new every day :smiley:

Good luck on your endeavors!