Online?

Not at all, obviously the more people trying to access at one time will slow down the speed of access a little, it is nowhere near on the same scale of a DOS attack otherwise most websites with high traffic would be blowing up al over the place, regardless of load-balance servers.

Add to the fact that a lot of sites get dos attacked and their sites are still fully fuctional, a bit slower none the less.

One of the reason DOS attacks are a problem is because they often use packet request which require a response, to which the atttacker does not respond to, this means the server is constantly trying to send a response to the attack which creates a bottleneck of request and renders normal access useless.

allthough someone visiting a webpage will generate a list of requests, they will be responded to.

ok then we will do it, its not a DOS attack its just a bunch of people logging on not all at once but within an hour, then everyone will just have to stay on for a couple of minutes or so and then everyone can log off if they want to.

Too many users simultaneously using a forum slows it down to a crawl or you get time outs trying to get in. Happened with other forums, I don’t expect this site to be any different. I’m sure 700+ people is exceptionally greater than its normal traffic, so is it capable of handling it without any impact on its users? If this is no, then doing this is irresponsible on the part of those users who don’t care for such worthless endeavors.

Richard

i hope the moderators would just disable that counter so we don’t get wild ideas like this one…

well the forum has handled that many users at once before…

Why does it matter? We know there are lots of blender users, we don’t need to demonstrate it in some crazy, possibly harmful scheme…

And what impact did it have?
Were there other users trying to get on for some help but couldn’t?
Has the servers and infrastructure changed since then?

I sure you wouldn’t get near 700 people though. It would surprise me if there we near 700 regularly active posters on these forums.

Well I’ve had my say, we’ll see what comes of it.

Richard

Yes, but what’s the point?

The point is that he and other people in this topic should blend more instead of making up silly plans to burn down a website :yes:

Blimey, what am I doing here again?

Well i sent pm’s to some mods asking them to check this thread and to tell me if they thought that there was something wrong with the idea, no one has replied yet.

Sure let’s crash the server and thus deny access to people who actually use the site for something, and why we’re at it let’s all pirate a poor fellow’s indie game depriving him of rent money.:rolleyes:

Your idea is just as good as the one as the idea I put down, which means they’re both bad ideas from the core.

well if you think that its such a bad idea, then why dont you pm some mods and some administrators and see what they think, if they think the same thing as you do then they will stop it.:rolleyes:

lol CD go to CGsociety’s forums they have an active number of users around the 900 mark. As far as im aware, elysium has always used a dedicated server although It looks like they’ve changed hosts and are colocating with demon.net.

3000 users on the same time, on these forum will not bring the server down.

If that was the case places like onemanga.com who’s ranked in place 210 (BA.org is 39,000 - lower the better) would be struggling to handle their load. Yes, they have load balance servers, mostly for the content though.

People are over reacting a little. This is all of course speculating if one can get that many people on in one time, it will be a total failure, this thread has had 310 view, I find it impossible to arrange over 700 people to come on at the same time if the thread arranging it only has 310 views.

Common sense now girls.

This action makes no sense to me.
I am heading to the park now to check out the sights and work out.

Have a good day everyone.

This again? Why do people keep getting this idea?
No, please do not do this. There is nothing to gain by doing so and it places undue stress on the server, and causes slower load times for people legitimately trying to use the site.
Just because it’s a record doesn’t mean you need to try to break it.