Only Face looking to side visible

Hi guys, Ive been trying to anylise this video “vimeo.com/1121570”, and im trying to figure out the bit in the comment section say “the funnel shape a self-illuminated mesh where only the faces looking to the side are visible”.

I have tried many thing to replicate that effect, different material experimenting with alpha values and normal maps, translucency etc but nothing give that effect, I tried even to figure out if I could adapt the best result I got from the materials and use the compositor to increase the “Contrast” of the alpha values of the mesh, I couldnt really come up with a clean way of doing that though, im not even so sure that its entirly possible.

Regardless Im certain that to the effect was a geometry base effect, nothing to do with the texture of the fractal funnel (unless someone knows otherwise :D). I would really appreciate any help or advise anyone could give, thanks guys :smiley:

Is something like this what you’re looking for?

Attachments

Oh Zwebbie thanks so much, that is exactly what Im looking for, I have to confess I have never used material nodes before or looked in to them, as I thought that there’s nothing that I would need them for, but I had no idea they were so versatile, and you have access to geometry as well is awesome.

Thank so much Ill defiantly be using material nodes more often now :smiley: