OpenCL and OpenGL not supported anymore in MacOS 10.14 Mojave

I just read the news that starting with MacOS 10.14 Mojave, Apple is discontinuing support for OpenCL and OpenGL, in favor of their Metal 2 technology. :frowning:

You can read about it here.

This is bad news for MacOS Blender users. Metal 2 is a solid technology, but there’s no Blender development for it, with the exception of AMD’s ProRender renderer.

I’d love to read your thoughts about this, and hope there will be solutions. Maybe Vulkan?

Thanks,

Metin

Considering without AMD’s investment the OpenCL stack would be a complete bust, perhaps Blender would like to coordinate with AMD about moving the Mac port to Metal 2 API.

1 Like

Vulkan isn’t supported on macOS either, so I don’t see how that would help.

For the time being, it means that Blender will run on macOS 10.14 just as it does on 10.13 - they’re not taking it away in this release. Anything about future releases is just speculation. Apple has kept some deprecated APIs alive for many years. For example, Carbon was deprecated in 2012, and only this year will be the first macOS release that will be unable to launch Carbon applications.

1 Like

I could live with no OpenCL, as the free Radeon ProRender for Blender already uses Metal 2. But no OpenGL would mean no Blender realtime viewport, or is it possible to switch to an alternative screen draw method?

I’m curious to see which other 3D editors for MacOS will add support for Metal 2, such as C4D, Maya, Houdini and Modo.

There’s already a thread discussing this subject.