OpenCL GPU Rendering never works

I actually never fcking got why every single gddamn Blender tutorial channel always recommends to turn on GPU rendering, because in my case, I never even got it to work! When it doesn’t render just as fast or slower on basic scenes than my CPU, it just fcks up my system! It blanks out my screen for a few seconds, then comes back up with the Blender windows all white and “Not responding”, and some UI elements and even functions (as in the case of the DisplayPort connection in my Oculus Rift S one time) in other applications no longer work properly until I outright reboot my system!

For proof of this, I opened a blend file using Command Prompt, and this is what I have been getting:

c:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.91>blender.exe
Read prefs: C:\Users\rufre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.91\config\userpref.blend
found bundled python: c:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.91\2.91\python
Loading MH community plug-in v 0.6.3
Loading sync plug-in
sync plug-in loaded
Loading kinect Sensor plug-in
kinect Sensor plug-in loaded
MH community plug-in load complete
C:\Users\rufre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.91\makehuman.default.settings.json
Read blend: **MY BLEND FILE GOES HERE**
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program base...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program displace...
Kernel compilation of base finished in 3.11s.
Kernel compilation of displace finished in 23.30s.
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_subsurface_scatter...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_direct_lighting...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_indirect_background...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_shader_eval...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_lamp_emission...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_holdout_emission_blurring_pathtermination_ao...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_dl...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_ao...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program denoising...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_bundle...
Kernel compilation of split_subsurface_scatter finished in 3.24s.
Kernel compilation of denoising finished in 2.63s.
Error   : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Address : 0x00007FF9ED224C1A
Module  : amdocl64.dll
Thread  : 00001dd0
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_bundle...
OpenCL build failed with error CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE, errors in console.
OpenCL program split_bundle build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

Thread  : 00002280
Thread  : 00002040
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_lamp_emission...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_shader_eval...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_indirect_background...
Kernel compilation of split_shadow_blocked_ao finished in 50.13s.
Kernel compilation of split_direct_lighting finished in 50.90s.
Kernel compilation of split_holdout_emission_blurring_pathtermination_ao finished in 50.45s.
Kernel compilation of split_shadow_blocked_dl finished in 50.35s.
OpenCL program split_lamp_emission build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_dl build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_holdout_emission_blurring_pathtermination_ao build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_direct_lighting build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_ao build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_dl...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_direct_lighting...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_holdout_emission_blurring_pathtermination_ao...
Cycles: compiling OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_ao...
OpenCL program split_indirect_background build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_ao build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_holdout_emission_blurring_pathtermination_ao build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_direct_lighting build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_shadow_blocked_dl build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

OpenCL program split_shader_eval build output: Error: AMD HSA Code Object loading failed.

And then I terminated the application through Task Manager.

My specs contain:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
32 GB of RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB
Windows 10 Home

By the way, I will never use an NVIDIA card ever again because NVIDIA is an evil corporation who needs to die!!!

They generally mean Nvidia GPU when they tell you to use the GPU. It is not your fault. OpenCL in Blender is still in progress.

Thanks, man. Though I can see that years later, this complaint would be out of date as soon as OpenCL becomes stable enough.

See https://developer.blender.org/search/query/Itmwkw.FZ3_w/#R Tthere might be some flag somewhere that you can enable to do some experimental rendering. I do not use an AMD card so I never looked into it seriously.

Well, Nvidia are evil just like AMD… They make under table deals with Nvidia ( against customers ), and now when they take his piece of market they more and more show his true face. Remember there are only two party… Manufacturers and Users. Giving free pass to one brand in fact make situation worse… for all. You really don’t notice how AMD slowly change his behavior and become more and more like Intel and Nvidia?
After all Nvidia is more honest, they don’t pretend that they are “better” than competition.

When there is so much rant in the thread, things can get confusing.
Cycles supports the same features for OpenCL and CUDA. Here I have nvidia card and it works fine with OpenCL in Cycles (you can test OpenCL in nvidia by launching Blender with CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST=1 environment variable, this is not needed for AMD cards).
So you should try to install the drivers correctly. Perhaps downgrading the driver to an older version. If the problem still persists, you should report the problem from the Blender “Help” menu, “Report a bug” (you must have an account on the website where it sends it to you)