openimageio

Seems you don’t have the ffmpeg libs, or you don’t have them where the compiler has been told to look for them.

This thread seems linux-based, but OpenImageIO is giving me fits on Windows too. Blender used to compile just fine for me, but with the latest it fails to link the ‘blender’ library with OpenImageIO. i’m getting a whole bunch of unresolved externals with the OpenExr stuff. I’ve tried downloading OIIO, ilmbase, and openEXR, and compiling them all separately, but I can’t get OIIO to link correctly, let alone Blender.

Anyone have insight for Win7, 32-bit build, VS Express 10?

EDIT: VS 10 may be the issue. I saw some stuff in the makefiles complaining about VS10, so I installed VS 2008. So far I was able to compile and link OIIO, so now I’m trying Blender. It would be crazy if that’s the whole problem

I agree, organic. I did have the current files and cmake-gui knew where they were (not with the other stuff in my blender-svn, but installed somewhere on the disk) but I’ll have to resurrect that one - saved to somewhere else for now - and have a look. Been quite busy with other work atm (porting from Excel VBA to Gambas) so haven’t had much time to do Blender…

Wow. I am surprised that an old thread I started a while back is still getting replies. It seems like forever since I first learned to build.

To update, I never learned to build in Win7 and have no plans to learn on Win8.

I learned to build on Linux Mint 13. I briefly tried to install Linux Mint 14 but was unsuccessful on my first try and never actually built Blender on Linux Mint 14.

I installed Ubuntu Studio and have had no trouble building and updating (svn up).

I dont know if that helps but I thought I should share that I had a hard time learning at first but once I did it several times, building on Linux Ubuntu based and compiling with Cmake gets easier and easier. And yes I have done it a lot of times. Practice makes perfect as the saying goes.

Cheers,
Animaguy

“…building on Linux Ubuntu based and compiling with Cmake gets easier and easier. And yes I have done it a lot of times. Practice makes perfect as the saying goes.”
Very true.

Things do change, so it’s important to stay up with those changes, but overall, it all seems to work well even for those of us just using a recipe (not totally fully au-fay with the whole process).

Robynsveil,

It hasn’t seemed to change much or even at all.

I can still build a blender-svn file using Linux Mint 13 and Ubuntu Studio 12.10 for that matter using my text file notes. Same dependencies and all. I even cross check with the Wiki for an extra added measure.

There were changes in blender and the procedure I wrote is not working. I am doing now succesful compilation in linuxmint14 with cycles and osl. So I will post later a new step by step instructions (that will be valid also for linuxmint13 or ubuntu)

Thank you, Bao2. Be interested to see your solution. I’ve run into a bit of a wall and so have been resorting to just the Shinsuke ppa updates, which are okay, but slightly out of sinc with the stuff that’s happening currently. So, much appreciated!!