Opensource Blender.

As much as I love blender, i cant think of a way that it can survive in any commercial wayand as much as I liked NaN, i was wondering how did it last that long. The only way that blender could go back to active development is if it becomes opensource. Now, is there any chances of this happening? I’m sure that a lot of people would love to work on it. How are the regulations of dead software like this in europe?

And for NaN, in case it continues alive, which i hope for… iif you want to offer a better product:
Please consider people like me, which there are lots.
I cant pay for blender, i dont have the money, but i do have the time to check the source and add features of improve things that others would find useful, or just fix bugs, or overall, contribute something. And I do it for the same price as If i downloaded the free version, nothing.

Not to mention, that if NaN dies, blender doesnt have to suffer from the same fate.

Let me get something straight. You can’t buy the stuff, because you don’t have the money. But you have time to decrypt (or whatever word you prefer) a dutch source to add some feature to it? Well, that’s gonna take up a whole lot of time. GET A JOB INSTEAD!

That way you will get payed, and thus, have money. If you have so much spare time, do something about it instead of whineing!

Clearly NaN has to charge something for Creator. The are loads of exampls of business/marketing models they can follow. All they need to do is find the right price points. I’m thinking:

• Creator (latest version): $99USD (ala Photoshop Elements, PaintShop Pro). maybe offer a “side-grade” rebate of $25. Perhaps only includePDF of latest docs & acces to addendums.
  • Printed manual & Tutorial: $30USD if not included with creator.
  • Web Publisher: $150?
  • Perhaps they follow the 3DSMAX/Strata route and offer some well supported plugins, i.e. IMPORT/EXPORT (just not as expensive…say in the $15-$25).
  • Offer the previous X.0 version (i.e version 1.x) as a free download maybe on a COMPUTER ARTS CD.

Just my $.02USD worth

i never understood why dont they promote blender on all those hundreds of software download sites.

more people could download creator and then buy publisher.

>Let me get something straight. You can’t buy the >stuff, because you don’t have the money. But you >have time to decrypt (or whatever word you prefer)
>a dutch source to add some feature to it? Well, that’s
>gonna take up a whole lot of time. GET A JOB >INSTEAD!

Hello you arrogant little guy, do you know WHAT AN UNIVERSITY STUDENT IS? Also It’s not about decrypting source, it’s about reading it. No good programmer will write code in anything other than english and i’m sure that such is true for blender, otherwise the apis would be in dutch too. It doesnt take to be a genius to understand a huge piece of source code, only probably an hour or two of messing with it, so you can go straight to what you want.

All the university students I know also work to earn an extra bit of money. It doesn’t take a genius to earn 300$+ in a month. Especially if you are old enough to be in University.
It MIGHT be a good idea to open source Blender but definetly not because you cannot afford it.

> Hello you arrogant little guy, do you know WHAT AN UNIVERSITY STUDENT IS?

YES! I do infact! I am a student myself!

>Also It’s not about decrypting source, it’s
about reading it. No good programmer will
write code in anything other than english and
i’m sure that such is true for blender, otherwise the apis would be in dutch too. It doesnt take to be a genius to understand a huge piece of source code, only probably an hour or two of messing with it, so you can go straight to what you want.

Since you obviously did’nt figure I was talking about the comments, I suspect you’d have no clue what to do with the source either. I bet you run linux too! WATCH OUT FOR THE MONKEYS!

Getting a job just to buy publisher is insane.
source refers to the whole source. comments variables and the likes. not just comments.

It is not illegal or immoral to.

1. Be low on money
  2. Not wanting to spend your free time doing things you hate
  3. Wanting to donate your free time into something you love

The world does not revolv around money. If you dont need money dont bust your ass getting it

Hi Chris,

Not sure if your reply was to my post but:

On 2002-03-23 07:08, Green wrote:
Getting a job just to buy publisher is insane.

Getting a job to save up for things you do want is not insane (whether this is Publisher or anything else you might want which isn’t free). It’s being responsible and independent.

It is not illegal or immoral to.

1. Be low on money
  2. Not wanting to spend your free time doing things you hate
  3. Wanting to donate your free time into something you love

Your points are valid - but she/he complained about not being able to afford Publisher and justified her/his ‘poverty’ because he/she was a University student. That might not be immoral or illegal but it is still childish.
I never complained about him wanting to contribute his time to an open source program.

The world does not revolv around money. If you dont need money dont bust your ass getting it

I agree on that too but reduz made it quite clear that he is in need of money.

Nothing personal Chris :slight_smile: I would have stood by your arguments given a different scenario, but I do not think they apply to reduz!

I was mainly responding to Macke.
You are free to think its childish and irrisponcible without me yelling at you :slight_smile:

(its more fun to code then to flip burgers)

unfair comparaison!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Martin

On 2002-03-23 08:20, Green wrote:

ah! but eating Burgers while coding… or pizza …

It’s a good thing keyboards are so hardy today - and cheap to replace!

:smiley:

I superglued my keyboard yesterday.
My cat knocked over the monitor so it landed on the keyboard and one of those things on that back that keep it tilted broke off.

your cat knocked your monitor?!?

What kind of fat cat is that! (well, either that or you have a flat screen monitor)

Martin

On the other hand, if it were a flat-screen, it wouldn’t be heavy enough to break a key-board!
In other words : Chris has a migthts fat-ass cat! :smiley:

Tom

BIG! BIG!! BIG!!! FAT ASSSSSS CAT damn…

Nims

Hey. dont make my cat mad. He can kick your ass!

The monitor got knocked over becouse its on an edge on my desktop.

The desk a wooden second level whare you put the monitor and printer and whatnot.
So when the monitor got knocked over the edge it fell about an extra 10 centimeters.

i wonder how the softwares like terragen and GIMP are still there!they are also free-just like blender.then why blender dies?