OpenVDB remesh

add-ons
commercial

(Tosky) #101

One issue I noticed, if I shrink a model then “openVDB it” before applying scale, the remesh process will take tons (really) of time and even saturate the cpu. Workaround of course is applying scale before clicking on remesh button, but from time to time you forget that and the result most of time result in a blender bruteforcequit to stop the time-consuming process.

(ambi) #102

Applying the scale before remesh should be an easy fix for the next version, I’ll look into it and if it improves the workflow, I’ll put it on my todo list.

(Geek Man Linux) #103

Hi, I cannot seem to solve this issue when installing your addon.
#######
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 331, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
File “/usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/vdb_remesh.py”, line 17, in
import numpy as np
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/numpy/init.py”, line 180, in
from . import add_newdocs
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py”, line 13, in
from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/numpy/lib/init.py”, line 8, in
from .type_check import *
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py”, line 11, in
import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/numpy/core/init.py”, line 14, in
from . import multiarray
ImportError: cannot import name ‘multiarray’
#######
I have re-installed numpy multiple times and that does not seem to fix the issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

##Edit##
here is blenders system-info.txt if that helps
https://pastebin.com/cyaujCCr

(ambi) #104

Hello GeekMan_Linux, can you go into Blender console and type “import numpy” successfully without errors? If Blender can’t find numpy, you have to install it into your operating system. In Debian based systems it’s “sudo apt-get install python3-numpy”

If Blender can import numpy successfully and the addon can not, it’s a bug that needs to be fixed.

(Positivity) #105

Hey , thanks for this Addon, i have one problem and its with cylinders or round beveled edges, i cant get them smooth round , this is picture for results i get on http://i65.tinypic.com/4j751e.png

is this intended or i need different settings ? i played around with settings and for edge to look crisp i must use 0.001 Voxel Size.

(1D_Inc) #106

A very nice addon)
Using it for making lowpoly LODS from trees

(ambi) #107

Hi Positivity, the addon smooths on a voxel level. The corners you showed should be smooth, but it only smooths them locally. To solve this problem, one way is to increase subdivisions and edge crease all sharp corners.

If you want more help please post the .blend and describe what you want to achieve.

(Positivity) #108

Thank you for a super fast response. I’m Adding this.blend where I try to show what I wanna achieve and what I get in return … Basically, I would wanna use this as fast remesh for hard Surface so i can do fast test bakes or even entirely replace SubD modeling. Right now like I wrote before only Voxel Level 0.001 and 0.002 gives me a nice Crisp edge but have problems with smoothing round shapes. as you say it does it somehow locally on the face and not on the whole mesh.

Was not able to upload here in a webpage so I share the link to google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wAdyTaHQLR5-Zja_ajEDoqZ7-mFXZUPX/view?usp=sharing

(ambi) #109

Does this work for you?

Basically, the addon can’t define smooth surfaces for you, but if you have already defined what corners are sharp (need small bevels) and what are not, it’s simple as selecting them, setting crease to 1.0 and using enough subdivision levels, then running the remesher.

(marcatore) #110

Interesting use. Is it possible to show an example?

(Positivity) #111

Thank you, your explanation works correct now on cylinders , I did more heavy test on actual model, and I have Weird mesh dissolve if i go for crisper edges with 0.001 Voxel size. I Uploaded the model for you to check out .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11P7Jdr0_jB6qLQ6TC_sts4jIzlVlZuoM/view?usp=sharing

(ambi) #112

Most of that can be fixed with first applying the mirror, then select non-manifold and fill face. The algorithm is sensitive to mesh quality (especially non-manifold objects). It can handle some broken-ness, but not a lot. Also don’t want everything to look like it’s fused together you need to separately apply the remesh to each part.

(Positivity) #113

Thank you i will try it out . and Actually im looking it to be almost like Fused together . When you make low Poly weapons and wanna have at last some round Edge Information to be baked down in Norma’s and Cavity map, this is fast way to get good Results without cleaning up Mesh to do Proper Sub D.

(Geek Man Linux) #114

Sorry it has been nearly 20 days since your response, i have finally manged to get it to work. The issue was that i was using a custom PPA version of blender and as a result blender was using a different pythonpath than the main system was. For example if I typed “import numpy” in system console it would complete without any errors, but if i typed the same command into the blender console i would get the error. To fix this i simply removed the version of blender that i was using and simply installed a version straight from the blender website. Works great now, thanks!!!

(R_dva) #115

Hello Amby. I can’t stop using your addon and happy with it. Have idea. Is it possible to add a vertex group for control the adaptive remesh? Example

(bkjernisted) #116

Does this work on windows 7. Is the one on github identical to the paid one. I will pay 5 dollars once i know it works. Where do you get pyopenvdb-python36-win64 from. Thanks

(bkjernisted) #117

I would also like to know what you call the folder with the dll’s? Or do you put the dll’s in the modules folder? Thanks

(ambi) #118

@R_dva: Yes, that’s something I’ve also been thinking of, but it isn’t easy to do. First in my list is fixing bugs and making the install process and binaries easier to handle.

@bkjernisted: I did test the addon on Windows 7 64-bit and it does work.

You can download vdb_remesh-win-python36-beta-2018-04-28 from the files once you buy the addon, then unpack everything into your Blender scripts folder (normally something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts).

Just get the Python version right. 3.5 and 3.6 aren’t compatible with each other.

Also you need to install the C++ redistributable (x64) https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x64.exe if you don’t have it.

I do aim to have the addon able to install using standard Blender method, but we’re not there yet.

(bkjernisted) #119

So, just move the dll’s into the modules folder and the addons scripts into the scripts folder. Thanks ambi.

(Fatesailor) #120

Did anyone try the add-on in Windows 7? Is it working there?