OpenVDB remesh

add-ons
commercial

(mrtzg) #161

I guess that’s what I meant (modifier stack). Eager to see what you do with it. I made a steam community guide with your plugin btw:

I hope you don’t mind :slight_smile:

(Pitiwazou) #162

Just bought it, where is the installation guide on gumroad I see nothing, only a list of mixed files.

(ambi) #163

The most recent .zip files should have the correct directory structure. Just download one .zip and extract what’s in modules to /modules and what’s in addons to /addons.

Windows:
vdb_remesh-win-python36-beta-2018-04-28 for Python 3.6
vdb_remesh-win-python35-beta-2018-04-27 for Python 3.5

The earlier files are there just for redundancy. Should probably remove and reorder them for less confusion.

(ambi) #164

That’s really cool.

(Pitiwazou) #165

Ok, so that’s what I did.
Yes indeed, you should clean the files ^^

It seems my version isn’t the same as in the video and on my version it seems this is only a remesh modifier with some smooth options.
I will continue my tests.

Edit: You should hide wireframe when entering the tool.

You should add more information about the options.

This is the best result I can have, is there better settings?

Maybe add presets or a reset button.

(ambi) #166

Gaussian iterations is how many smoothing steps you want, and will probably increase the quality. Defining sharp corners and creasing them + adding subdiv before using the addon will also improve quality. That might be good to be done automatically just from mark sharp.

Both gaussian width and sigma might indeed be confusing. Here’s how it works:
gaussian

sigma = how sharp the smoothing is
width = how big the window is (the x axis in the picture). basically if there are artifacts with smoothing, increase the width
iterations = how many times it’s repeated

The addon should come with good defaults and only iterations need to be changed.

Setting the minimum voxel size in the addon preferences is on my TODO list, the problem with no minimum is that it can very easily hang Blender.

(Pitiwazou) #167

ok thx, I will continue my tests :wink:

(bkjernisted) #168

Could someone make a video with sound on how to use this addon? No need to model something complicated. Thanks

(Pitiwazou) #169

With a proper workflow, that works pretty well!

(brothermechanic) #170

cool solids!

(Justin712) #172

This addon is fantastic, thank you so much for your work! I’m already incorporating it pretty heavily in my workflow!

Do you think you can upload one that’s compatible with python37? I’m a pretty big fan of the 2.8 nightly builds!

(ambi) #173

Thanks, that’s nice to hear.

I’m not going to update addons for 2.8 until the Python API stabilizes and the version is locked. It would be a lot of wasted work otherwise.

(Justin712) #174

Darn! Alright, I don’t mind just transferring DAE’s between the 2 that much anyway. Thank you, and I look forward to it!

(1D_Inc) #175

Cool, but some values, as size, has very tiny setup value, so they are not scrollable, or even cannot be properly viewed.
I would definitely like to see an option “Show every parameter as x100” to perform nice parameter values view and scrolling.

Also, it seems, 1.4 version’s “Quads only” option seems to be gone in 1.5, now I missing it)
It was making nice optimization while turned off, useful in some cases.

(ambi) #176

That’s a good idea about the x100. I’ll definitely look into if I can bring the triangles back.
edit: You can also press shift while dragging to make it go slower.

(Metin Seven) #177

Hi @ambi, Do you maybe have any news about a possible Mac version yet? I just watched some videos of C4D R20’s OpenVDB implementation and I’ve become hungrier for OpenVDB now. :slightly_smiling_face:

In C4D you can blend together shapes like a non-destructive modifier stack, and smooth some parts more than others, by inserting smooth modifiers at different stages of the stack. Are such things also on your to-do list? This is a very interesting way of modeling, bringing Blender closer to ZBrush.

Thanks.

(ambi) #178

The situation remains that I don’t have a Mac and can’t afford a Mac just to compile a binary. If you have a good way to get a system running on a virtual machine like VirtualBox, I’m willing to give it a shot. Plus I don’t have any idea how to compile things in that environment either, so it’s something I would have to learn before producing anything useful.

(Metin Seven) #179

That’s a pity. I’ve got no virtualization experience, and no coding / compiling experience. :slightly_frowning_face:

I guess I’ll just have to sell a kidney and buy C4D R20. Wait… no, I can’t separate from Blender! :wink:

(1D_Inc) #180

Thank you!
That would be awesome)

(bkjernisted) #181

Can vdb remesh be installed in this build and if it can, how? [Custom Build] Blender 2.79.6 Weighted Normals & Customized modifiers