Operation Iraqi Freedom Game Development Help Line

it says page not found! yahoo totally bites! it’s as bad as winblows! %|

i’ll try again later - i hope it works!

peculiar…

well anway, go to http://www.geocities.com/z3r0_d/files/ and click on it there

I may have not packed textures in some files

but anyway, to jump to the end, my final result [WASD, mouselook, crouch with c, jump with spacebar, interact with e] can be seen [packed!] at http://home.earthlink.net/~nwinters99/temp/fps_controls.blend (122kb)

peculiar…

well anway, go to http://www.geocities.com/z3r0_d/files/ and click on it there

but anyway, to jump to the end, my final result [WASD, mouselook, crouch with c, jump with spacebar, interact with e] can be seen [packed!] at http://home.earthlink.net/~nwinters99/temp/fps_controls.blend (122kb)[/quote]

the first link gives me the same error message that the page is invalid source!

what do you mean be final result? do you mean that that is like the template blend that i can add my maps to and it will automatically have all the controls and the 1.8mb zip is the tut on how to do it all?

yeah, mostly

it has mouselook, jumping, doors, crouching…

it doesn’t have static lighting

okay i looked at the blend and it works good. my only concerns is:

1. could you make the blend so as to not have anything in it? no map no doors nothing but the camera (player) setup and all of the scripts.

2. can you move the console debug from the top left to bottom left? i don’t like it up there being in the way and could you make it green?

3. also with the blend not having anything in it could you tell me how to setup up my door? like i add the door mesh and then … from there attach the script to the door cause as is with the blend (i still can’t get that zip to dowload - check your PM for my email add) i can’t use anything in there (for in our game) other than the camera setup (which i love - it is much better than my old FPS!) and the associated scripts.

in summary:

can you make a blend that has player setup with these controls - wasd, space for jump, shift for crouch, e for user, and mouse look, ~ for console hide - plus all of the scripts packed and then all i have to do is import my map, import my objects and assign a door command to each door (which i hope you could graciously give me a tut on)!

i know this is alot to ask but you are probably the only one who can do it!

thanks alot! :wink:

there actually wasn’t a console there…

just some text which showed up for the opening the door action

if you wish to have other actions, the interact.py script must be changed

the text is simply vertex painted red, and is the child of the camera

you have to explain extremely detailed cause i am new to this and as is am too thick headed! :expressionless:

when i run the blend i see some text that is white and is giving me my fps, and all the other stuff concerned with the game - how do i move this to lower left and how do i change the color?

i don’t want the open door thing so you could delete that from the blend template (if you are doing that and if not just tell me how with out messing up the door interaction)

and how do i add a new door and setup the user key to open it?

thanks again! :wink:

check your messages z3rod!

i looked agian at the blend and i can’t figure out how to get rid of the text without loosing the door control.

also how did you get the lights to show up? i have tried adding lights but they never work! what did you do to make them show?

you have to explain extremely detailed cause i am new to this and as is am too thick headed! :expressionless:

when i run the blend i see some text that is white and is giving me my fps, and all the other stuff concerned with the game - how do i move this to lower left and how do i change the color?

i don’t want the open door thing so you could delete that from the blend template (if you are doing that and if not just tell me how with out messing up the door interaction)

and how do i add a new door and setup the user key to open it?

thanks again! ;)[/quote]
the text in the top left is something blender does, it can be turned off in the game menu

the two options are “Show Framerate and Profile” and “Show Debug Properties”

to create another door you would only need to copy the logicbrick setup.
a boolean property, set to false, named state
an int property, set to 1, named interacttype
a property sensor, set to equal, property state, value true, linked to an and controller, linked to an ipo actuator in flipper mode with the proper start and end frames specified.

so that I could duplicate the door and move them around without creating a new ipo, my doors are the children of empties [and they were when animated too]. I duplicate both the door and empty [at once] to duplicate the door.

if you mean the “Open the door” text, simply edit the lines which set it in interact.py to set it to “”

in that file the faces were all made light sensitive, by entering face mode [like you do when you texture], pressing the light button in the paint buttons [in the edit buttons], and then copy drawmode. the lamps need to be on the same layer as the mesh and you are limited to 8 lamps [effecting a mesh]

the other method is to press the “make vertex colors” button which will take the vertex colors you see in shaded [control+z] mode and make them the vertex colors. I did this here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nwinters99/temp/simplethingy.jpg
lighting: http://home.earthlink.net/~nwinters99/temp/simplethingy_light.jpg

in case you can’t find that buton:

it is a good idea to make the spec of your material zero when you do this

however, these two methods can’t be used together. vertex colors end up specifying the brightest color the vertex can be when lit.

you really should stop by #gameblender on irc.freenode.net
would make answering all these questions much easier [for both of us I’d imagine]

“you really should stop by #gameblender on irc.freenode.net
would make answering all these questions much easier [for both of us I’d imagine]”

is that a chat place?

okay the adding a door sounds good but not quite right. After downloading the blend i deleted everything but the camera setup so basically i am starting from scratch! so now i have added a door mesh now what? step by step…

i’ll work on the lighting stuff and everything else!

btw is there a simpler way of loading an entire blend of meshes at once all in the same shapes, sizes, and locations? i have created a detailed map with hundreds of objects then i have to move all these to the fps blend you just posted - so is there a way to move all of the meshes from the map blend to the fps blend or move all of the camera setup to the map blend without losing any of the valuable script links?

i know i am very bothersome with all of this but it is really starting to make our game take shape and once i can get this template made the rest of the maps will be a singe! :wink:

an irc chatroom

now I must show you how to animate?

I can only be willing to do so much. there are several tutorial threads, go and learn how to keyframe!!!

well, since my file has fewer objects you ought to be able to simply append the few objects, the rest should come over as well

I didn’t name the objects very well [I should have], but they are:
Cube.001 [the feet]
Camera.001 [the camera]
Plane.001 [the text]

so, here is what you do:
in your .blend with the environment
press shift+f1
navigate to my .blend file
go into objects
right click the 3 I just mentioned
click load
select the camera that was imported
press control+numpad 0

your scene and mine are probably different sizes, I would kind of reccomend you scale yours down instead of tweaking the values of mine.

set the friction of your ground material to 100, and the restuit to 0.0[default]

also, hundreds of objects is too many for blender’s game engine

oh okay i didn’t realize that i had to keyframe it! - i know how to do that! if all else fails well… i’ll get it to work don’t worry! :wink:

let me go see if i can load your objects!

i got the door to work now i will see if i can get those objects loaded :wink:

thanks again man!

hey hey! i got it working! like a charm! although i only get 20fps it is still exceptable so far (cause the detail is amazing!) we may have to lower poly some of the models to allow for more fps and smoother game control but so far it is working nice!

thanks a whole lot! really this was more than your fair share of work! i’ll get a demo of it up in a few days and you can be the first (other than our team) to test it! how’s that? :wink:

you are a real piece of brains! thanks! :smiley: