Optimizing my computer for blender?

Hey everyone. I’m new here, and this is my first post. I’ve been learning blender little by little, over the last few months. Been following many tutorials, picking things up along the way. My area of learning has been geared towards using blender to create 3D animation for use in my live action Indie films.

I wanted to ask about my computer.

I have a Mac Pro 8 core 2.26 ghz, with 26 gigs of ram, and quadro 4000 video card. It’s well optimized for video editing, and compositing within FCP, Premier Pro, and After Effects. But in blender, when do lets say a smoke animations, the best I’m getting, even with low Rez setting is 2.4 fps. I bake a high Rez version, and even after baking, I’m getting less then 1fps playback.

Is there something I’m missing in my user preferences that’s causing such a slowdown? I’m starting to wonder if I should build a windows machine, just for Blender?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jeff

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

when do lets say a smoke animations, the best I’m getting, even with low Rez setting is 2.4 fps. I bake a high Rez version, and even after baking, I’m getting less then 1fps playback.

Hi Jeff,

sorry, don’t understand the problem…I haven’t tried smoke animations, but do liquid sims, and set the frame rate myself …e.g. 20fps.

It sounds like a more than adequate system for rendering animations in Blender.