Organic Modelling: impossible goal...

So, here’s my sad story:I can model anything inorgacic. Really, anything! It might take me time but in the end, I succeed.
But, organic modelling is something totaly different!
I have tried a lot with terrible results! It confuses me. When I want to model something inorganic, I just start with a basemesh that is close to what I want, add some detail and I’m ok. But, in organic modelling there are so many workflows! Box modelling, vert-by-vert modelling, sculpting-retopologizing, modelling-sculpting-retopologizing, skin_modifier-sculpting-retopologizing etc.
Which is the best one that I should follow?
Are there any really good tutorials?
Any advice?
P.S.: Sorry for my noobish questions…

The best workflow in 3D modelling is the one … you find yourself the most confident at following, so you should just give a try to some of them and you’ll quickly get a feel to which one you prefer and work the most efficiently with.

An “easy” one i think with Blender could be to start with a Skin modifier use to design quickly a base character, with some help from manual modelling of course to cover areas the skin modifier will have trouble with.
http://i.imgur.com/8BsaTUEs.jpg

Then after applying everything, you can give a sculpt try with the Dynamic Topology
http://i.imgur.com/w5LzVXGs.jpg

And finally some retopology session to get animation/game friendly characters on which you’ll then use your sculpt to bake ambient occlusion/normals/etc…

But similarly to everything in 3D, the secret is still practice, then practice and practice again, no workflow will escape this and will give shape to your idea without some serious practicing first :wink:

Box modeling is simplest and fast. Start modeling with box and Subdivision Surface modifier. Get the feel of how shape is forming and mesh is flowing. For unfamiliar organic object, I usually start from there.

You soon realize box modeling has its limitations. When time comes where you are not satisfied with how box modeling is working out, that is when you need to start thinking modeling manually modifying meshes. Many times you can go in there and just fix particular problem by deleting faces and manually remeshing.

But then as time passes, you start to see how object needs to be meshed from the start. And have good feel for where mesh feature need to be in 3D. Then you can just start creating the model vert-by-vert free hand. At that point you know you can do the modeling faster by hand then starting from box.

For more complex organic object, it is easier to just sculpt it out and retopo it. You skip the process of forming mesh in a given sequence all together that way. It is the perfect way to just focus on mesh flow problem.