Organising the game

(a-k-m) #1

Hi
how do you organise a game?
I’ve been developing my game all in one blend file and selecting the single maps just by layers.
There must be a way via linking blend files.
I was thinking of having a Player.blend and then the map.blends
But in the player.blend if I link a map.blend (the scene) it gets linked as a scene (obviously).
Then from the player scene I can’t access the map scene since there is only the option to add it as a background or overlay scene. And both ways the player doesnt interact with it.
So do you have a solution for this?

Thank you, greetings

(anas) #2

will i am not good at creating games, and for the past years i have found that there are a lots of things that blender really needs a lot of improvement on .

like a library for models and props , it socks crating “GAMES” on blener unless you want to create small mini games .

there is a solution , which is by groping your props and models , like " the player / box/ buildings" and link thim as groups to the level.blend

i am not sure if armory or UPBGE did a solution on this side or not …

1 Like
(- Click for resources) #3

libload is the answer.

how i do it is 1 main .blend with player.
this blends libloads levels (1 .blend per level)
then that blend libloads assets needed for that level.

this way you have acces to anything you want. and levels should not be linked as scenes, but libloaded as objects.

1 Like
(sdfgeoff) #4

However you see best.

Libload is good, but complicated, prone to human error, and has some bugs
Group linking is good, but you end up with group-owner-empties in your scenetree, and they don’t dynamically load.
Whatever you do: keep your scripts separate to your blend files. This will save you much pain when you accidentally hit ctrl+z with your mouse over the 3D view.

I’ve found I’ve had much luck using a code-first approach. Something in the code creates an object, and the implementation of the object spawns an entity into the scene. For example, in the code you may do:

c = Car(scene)

And then inside the object you may have:

class Car:
    def __init__(self, scene):
        scene.addObject("CarTemplate")

Often you can couple this with game properties and other odds and ends so that you can still use blender as a level editor. This also plays well with libload where you can have “dependencies” between implementations and their assets represented through the code. [One of my gripes about Godot is that it is nearly impossible to take this code-first approach, or maybe I just haven’t found out how yet]

Most of the time™ you don’t need libload. In the handful of commercial projects I did in the BGE, one had zero libloading, and one had about 5-6 blends loaded. (It switched blend into the level blend, then loaded a couple of assets). Rather surprisingly, the one with no libloading was the one with more data - hundreds of megabytes of assets. Yes, it still had a loading screen. Loading things from disk is frequently not what takes the time in a complex game. populating the world, setting up and compiling shaders and other things can take way longer.

My advice is: Don’t make things more complex than they need to be. If you can:

• Create groups of objects
  • Link the groups into your level file
  • Use the startgame actuator to that level file, or libloading that one file if necessary
2 Likes
(Monster) #5

In addition to Sdfgeoff’s suggestion, you might find the Guide to linked libraries useful:

1 Like